Losing a guitar gaining a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JFT, May 18, 2003.

1. Hi all,

I'm 99% decided to exchange my "best" guitar for another bass but I wonder what's the % of the original value I should get at a store? This is for a mint guitar.

The guitar was paid 3600 $Can when new and it is mint (played in home-studio only).

Is 60% realistic? If not what would?

I'm looking at 3 different basses right now: Cirrus 5 (2100$Can) Thumb-4 BO (2100$Can) or a SR5 (1800$Can).

Thanks for any help.
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I would say that the store would offer you about 35-40% of the street price & try to sell it for about 65-70% of the street price. It also depends on what kind of guitar it is.
  3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    What kind of guitar would you be getting rid of?
  4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Probably not, there is no L&M in montreal.

Probably Ital?

Steve's and Archambault doesn't carry any used instrument.

You can try lespac you know about them?
    You would have a better price then selling it to the store.

5. The guitar I'm selling is an Ibanez Jem-7VWH.

A salesman at Steve's told me they were taking trade-in... in the ~50% area but I wonder if I could get more or if after saying that I'll go down.

Ital I haven't had any quote yet.j

Where is that "Jack"? Never heard of? Is this the used shop just beside Steve's?
  6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Guitar Center does it like this: 50% of original cost of the instrument, then sell it for 50% of retail.

Fodera Emeror II retail: $500
    cost: $250
    you get: $125

Doesnt' seem like a fair shake for your Fodera, huh? Well, a store can't give you more for it used than they get it brand new from the manufacturer, so you take a bath. I suggest selling to an individual, unless you just want to unload the thing.
  7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    yes it is
  8. Your best bet is to NEVER trade-in...sell it yourself for 30-50% more than what any shop will get you. With the internet sites available instruments can be sold at a fair market price very quickly. For example, the last bass I sold had 4 offers within 12 hours of posting on a bass gear for sale/trade website, and I closed the deal for my asking price in 24 hrs. :)

Ahh......Jack's - this brings back memories! :D I bought my first bass there in 1970 when I switched from guitar to bass...
  9. Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    You could make hundreds more selling your guitar on eBay or something.

10. I guess that's a dumb question but isn't there any risk of never seeing neither the instrument nor the money when selling online?

What's the typical arrangement?
  11. I didn't have them in mind but if they offer fair value on trade-in I could drive to Ottawa. They do carry Ibanez as far as know. (Why would it make a difference in price?)

I know they have Warwick but no idea if they have Cirrus? I'd really like to A/B them on the same amp!

Anybody care to comment on Long & McQuade?
  12. Thanks for the clear and precise answer Smash.

Yet another dumb question are these their "automatic" percentage or do you need to "fight" to get those?

I don't get your last line

Higher you just mentionned 80% :confused:

Thanks again!
  13. Thanks Smash,

it's indeed clear now :D

Any idea how much their running price is for Cirrus-5 Walnut and Thumb BO 4 & 5?

Stores usually won't quote price over the phone....

Thanks again!