1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Losing a vocalist

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by TheRockinRoadie, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Over the years, i like to think i have learnt quite abit about band management. At least, i always help out the kids that come to me for advice regaurding band issues at our local jam nights, which i help run.

Our singer is a very busy guy, he's normally unavailible for gigs, and this sometimes annoys the rest of the band, who want to be gigging more.

The guitarists decided that they wanted to find a 'stand in' singer. This has backfired because the singer saw the advert, and has basically quit. (At least, he will do when the guitarists answer the phone).

A band with no vocalist is a band that doesnt get booked, right? Which means no money.

The choice i have is do i leave the band now and join other bands who are looking for a replacement bassist,

or

Do i wait it out to see if anyone replies to the adverts?

I know this sounds lame but its a really wierd call for me, as we all know that being in a band is like having another set of family.

Any thoughts? :help:

2. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Let's get this straight:

The vocalist who just quit couldn't do gigs for lack of time, and so you now can't do gigs because you have no vocalist. Exactly what changed when he quit?

Either you like the music you make in the band and the other band members, and then you stick to it, or you look for other opportunities. Which you should have done anyway in that case, I think.

3. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    BIG minus for not telling the singer before placing the ad. If the singer knew you guys wanted to play more and he was a normal understanding person, he probably would have been cool and you wouldn't be in this situation. Then again, being normal and understanding is actually pretty abnormal for a singer.

4. mizzou541

mizzou541 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2010
    MO
    I'd say if he really wants to keep singing with you guys, he might become more "available" if he knows you're serious about replacing him.

5. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Yeah this. Why don't people open their mouths these days? Are people too insecure or want to seem cool? Does speaking up make one seem lesser? I noticed that most plot lines of horrible things that happen on TV shows & movies happen because the idiots didn't communicate. I don't know how (you people) survive with all this closed mouth bull. It's an epidemic.

6. Finding a Band you Jive with may be hard to do, so if you like the group you are in, wait it out.

7. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    What was the singer doing looking for ads for a singer?

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Just find a new singer.

IMO, finding a 'stand in' singer was the wrong path to tread in the first place. You guys should have talked to your singer about being more available. If he told you that he couldnt, then i would have suggested the band might not be the best use of his free time and inform him that we'd be looking for a new singer.

9. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    :D

10. +1000...My band just folded too, and no one is saying anything. I asked everyone what their thoughts were, and ZIP! NOTHING!..So frustrating. I am very open, and say what I think, with regards to what the band needs. I'm not, I believe, an insensitive clod who tramples on others feelings and pride. But as you say BassBrass, people, generally, don't communicate. There are diplomatic ways of getting across difficult messages, but most times it seems, it's easier just to give up and not say anything. I think that's so they are blameless and are remembered as 'cool', next time someone is forming a band.
    I just want to know what they are thinking, so everyone can be accommodated. That way, theoretically, everyone should be happy (if that's possible). :meh:

11. Just to clear this up, it was the two guitarists who posted the add, not me, i wasnt told until the next morning. I think they were dicks doing it without talking to the singer first as i thought we were all good friends.

The singer wasnt reading the vocalists wanted ads, he friend saw it and told him to look at it.

Round here vocalists are few and far between, so i think im going to start looking for a band unless the guitarists talk things out with the singer

=[

12. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    You have everyone in place except for a vocalist. The band you join will have everyone in place except for a bassist at best. You're ahead of the game to stay where you are.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020