1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Losing Balance on Stage

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by chaosMK, Jan 28, 2008.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Does this happen to anyone? I nearly lose my balance at least a few times every show.

2. bass106

bass106

Oct 2, 2007
    Australia
    Had to make this comment!!!

Try to lay off the booze before each show :D

3. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Sit the bass on yer beer gut, sure cure for any neck dive problems.

4. I do this ALL the time. If I move around to much, I trip over my patchcord, tuner, the drummer's cymbal stands, or even my own feet.

One time I fell backwards into my rig and had to hold out a hand to brace myself from completely toppling over. I smoothly covered it up by twiddling a knob or two on my amp to make it look like it was my intention all along to adjust some setting.
    I thought I was all hot sh*t for hiding my tumble until I missed the cue for the bridge....

5. Big Hungry

Big Hungry

Jun 27, 2007
    Orem, Ut
    I nearly lose my balance ever time my guitarist hits a certain note in a solo in one specific song and only when he uses his Weeping Demon pedal.

6. I played a big outdoor show with Joe Walsh way back at an Al Gore Rally. I nearly fell off the rickety stage UCLA had set up for us several times. Of course, I did have a 4 foot paper mache giraffe head on at the time!

7. ....not kidding!

Attached Files:

8. Hasn't really happened to me at a show, that I recall, but sometimes at practice I stumble around...our practice space is somewhat limted, and I'm kind of crammed between a monitor, my combo amp, and pedal board, so sometimes I tend to trip over stuff turning around.

9. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Watch some of those funny home video show's on TV and they show all the time band members taped at gigs falling off stage, thru their drums tripping over chords all kinds of whacky stuff.

10. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    ALL THE TIME. I play metal, and I'm constantly thrashing about (pun intended) on stage. There have been a couple times where I've come really close to eating it big time.

11. Did it once, but saved my ass. Just saw a bassist froma popular aussie band take a fall at the big day out yestereday. Was quite funny>

12. Every show. Once fell off the back of the stage and through a window onto the sidewalk. How the hell I wasn't cut to ribbons I'll never know.

13. Tripped over the smoke machine footswitch onstage yesterday... Almost busted my butt...

Twice!

14. Are you talking like vertigo from stage height or lights or what?

That's wrong if you're losing your balance, and you're not liquored up or dizzy from spinning around or tripping on a cable or getting a bra wrapped around your eyes or something. You should see a doctor about that.

15. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    This only happens when I start to get into the music and I stop paying attention to my imedeate surroundings. I start rocking out and bobbing my head, and somehow stumble rather embarrassingly:oops:.

Once I was rocking out with my foot up on the moniter headbanging and s***. However, unbenounced to me my guitarist was spinning around like a drunk monkey rigth behind me, so when I got off the moniter he almost hit me in the face with his headstock!

16. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    All the time. Don't know why. What do we look like when it happens? I feel like an idiot.

17. Roba2c

Roba2c

Nov 13, 2007
    Asheville, NC
    When I get dizzy it is from the jam. Thats how you know it was really good, all your motor skills are focused on your finger tips.

It may also be your shoulder strap cutting off circulation to your head, or standing in a small place for an hour can be a little uncomfortable, but worth it.

18. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Being a cripple with a foot that can't take more than maybe forty pounds pressure on the front, losing my balance is practically part of my act by now.

19. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    You're obviously suffering from altitude-sickness in ABQ. Send me your equipment, and you shouldn't be in those dangerous situations anymore.

Be glad I'm here to help - you could get dead whilst falling down. :meh:

20. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021