Losing faith in SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'm just not having any luck with SWR! For some reason I blow tweets out of my henry cab, my bass 750 head smokes at the power switch (apparently from poor solder design according to SWR) when you turn it on, and I also got the the bottom of the rattling sound coming from the goliath senior. Upon inspection, I find that not one, but 2 of the drivers are junk. The center dome and the cone itself are ripped half way around on both of the bottom speakers. On the cone itself, just outside the bead of silicone, or whatever it is they use. So help me out guys, wheres the best place to buy replacements? Is there an easy fix to get me by for a bit while I am getting the extra funds together? This sucks. One more incident, and this stuff is going to go down the road, and there may be an eden rig in my future. I love my sound, but the constant maintenance and upkeep here is bull. I usually run the gain JUST BELOW the preamp clip, and volume around 12 o'clock, give or take some depending on the circumstances. I keep it stored in a ATA flight case, and there is not a single knick or scratch on it. PS, I always take care of my stuff, always keep an eye for clipping, and run the limiter on my head at 9 o'clock....*** did I do to deserve this????
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That stinks man. I also feel that's unusual for you to have problems like that with so many different products. I'm surprised they haven't taken any action to rectify any of that as my customer service experience with SWR has been really good.

brad cook
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I haven't seen any good places for SWR replacement drivers, but a lot mroe quality is expected from something with a price tag that they demand. When your ready to try a new rig, look into Peavy, I swear by their stuff (even though a lot of guys claim its crap). I have cranked the brains out of my 10" peavy and had no problems, just all aroudn good sound. They are tough as nails too, and very cheap for the amount of quality you get.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    unfortunately, i think you're just really, really unlucky.

almost everyone in town here plays swr stuff cos it's the only decent amp you can buy in town, and i haven't heard anything like what you're describing from my other bass friends.

give swr a call if you haven't. explain your sitch, and perhaps they'll lend a hand. they seem like the kind that would make sure to help.
  5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    here is my swr sob story as many of you have heard before:
    i had the new chrome faced bass 350 and i loved it. the specs said 450 watts at 2 ohms, more than adequate power for what i needed. in the manual it also said that you could turn up the gain until clipping and then back it off a little for maximum output. i always had my EQ basically flat with a little boost in the low mids. i turned the volume up most of the way and then turned the gain up to about 12 o'clock or less and NOT ONCE did it ever clip. it never even came close to it with the clip light never coming on even briefly. well, my amp started shutting off by itself mid-song with out me driving it any harder or differently than i had before. this was after 6 months or so, so i called swr because they had never returned any emails. the man i spoke to said that you can't run it at 2 ohms it wasn't safe and that i had been driving the amp way too hard and to protect itself it was shutting down. i explained to him, or at least tried to, that i wasn't doing anything that the manual said i couldn't and that i wasn't happy with this. he never really gave me an explanation other than maybe i should buy the 750 instead for more power and headroom. it never distorted or cut out the low frequencies so i assumed that i had ample headroom.
    i was very disgusted with swr for lying to me, as i felt it was false advertising. i had proudly played their gear for years and now i will never purchase another one as long as i am playing.

i would recommend avatar cabs or peavey cabs, they are great for the money and you may even decide to keep them with your new head if you decide to get one...
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Your experiences are totally atypical. I realize that doesn't make you feel any better but others need to know that gear is typically VERY reliable.
  7. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    true, but since it has happened i have noticed more and more complaints about their reliability on here. second only to GK as amp makers go. i never tell people this if they don't already own one. i tell people who have had the same/similar experience. and i still can't get over the fact that they lied about what is in the manual!
  8. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I've been doing really well with the used, older SWR gear I've bought. Mostly using an SM-400S head bridged into a Goliath II cab. Lots of oomph.

Sure, it gets warm, but it hasn't shut down yet. I did remove one piece of rack gear and added a perforated panel in its place to allow better heat dissipation, though.

The head has been used quite a bit, the ears bent when I got it and lots of scratches, but everything is fine functionally and the sound is really nice.

9. This company has been very good to with their great equipment. I have never had a friend that has had a problem with their stuff and I have been playing for years with no complaints.

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. I never push anything at two ohms PERIOD. It's like sex without the condom. Sure you can do it but it's not worth the risk.

I remain a happy SWR customer.

10. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    they said that you shouldn't run it at 2 ohms period. why advertise that it would then?
    i'm not saying that swr is junk or anything i was very satisfied with it until then (tonewise and volume wise). to each his own... good luck with it ANBassist...
  11. If the amp is rated for 2 Ohms, you should be able to use it at 2 Ohms without any problems. If you can't, the manufacturer should not spec it to run at 2 Ohms, because it's misleading. That being said, I ran my Studio 220 at 2 Ohms for years without any problem.
  12. I've run my SWR SM400-S @ 4ohms mono bridged for years. That's 2 ohms on both power amps.
  13. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i ran my chrome faced bass 350 @ 2 ohms for two shows a weekend for a whole year, with the majority of it spent with the master volume nearly maxxed out.

took out a bunch of speakers from clipping, but never shut down once.
  14. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    SWR's are usually pretty stable amps

I dunno specifics though, I use Ashdowns
  15. natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    that's why I think they should change their name to SeWeR, because that's what my experience with their customer service has been.

I bought a WM12, used it 6 times, as in turned it on 6 times, and had a MAJOR failure that they had to pretty much replace everything. No big problem with that (I mean, stuff happens, right???) but I did have the problem with the 15 weeks that I couldn't use my brand new amp.

SWR sucks, hardcore.
  16. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Look guys, I love my SWR gear, I am not trying to start a SWR vs. the world fued, I am just venting some of my frustrations. I LOVE the sound of the gear, the power, the look everything! I'm just having a lot of technical issues lately, and am frustrated. I've NEVER had any problem with any of my gear in 18 years of playing, until now. I used to have a crate (pos) 15" combo I used playing in a rock band, I'll tell ya what, it didn't look like much, or sound like much, but I made that little amp sweat pretty hard quite a few times, and it NEVER let me down. I finally spend a few bucks on some high end gear, and it goes to hell in a handbag, non stop so far. This may be a rediculous request, since it is no longer under warranty, but I expect SWR to pick up the tab and make it right on this deal. If I have to pay for it myself yet AGAIN, I will be selling the gear for another brand, and will never use SWR again.
  17. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i wasn't trying to ruffle anyone's feathers either. it's just scary when you come here and feel like you got the only swr to have ever gotten broken in the world. it sux! i know i've been there and back i went throguh the exact same scenario. i had an swr wm 15 and i loved it and had a cheapo crate 410 cab under it and i swear that set up shook the earth! so i figured that the bass 350 would be even better! it had good tone but honestly, not like that wm/crate rig... i wish i held onto it actually...
  18. camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    "my bass 750 head smokes at the power switch (apparently from poor solder design according to SWR) when you turn it on"

Poor solder design my a**. That's one of those I don't know but I have to tell you something answers.

If you get told that again, ask how that works theoretically. I'd be real curious to the reply :rolleyes:

19. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I don't want to be a jerk here but I will be. If SWR's gear was consistently unreliable they wouldn't have the rep they do which is as a manufacturer of "good quality" professional gear. As stupid as we'd like to think the general populace is, in the long term (even short term these days)companies can't survive if they're selling crap.

That ANBassist is having that many problems at the same time with his multiple pieces of gear leads me to believe that there is something more than a QC issue at work here. The odds are simply hihgly against it. I.E. I suspect user error, mishandling, maybe someone's been using your stuff improperly without your knowledge, etc. Then again, he did start off his post with the possibility that he may just be unlucky.

As an aside, there's a difference between stating your experience and whining about it and generalizing it. The first way sounds like you're sharing your story, the second way sounds like you're just slagging a brand. Don't make me read between your lines, I may end up misinterpreting you even more.
  20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Read between the lines???? Like I said, I always take care of my gear, there isn't so much as a scratch on my swr stuff, it still looks like new. I'm not an idiot, I know what normal use is, and what abuse is. I have never once had the master volume above 1 o'clock. If you bought 3 caddilacs, and they all blew up, you wouldn't hold high thoughts for them either. Just calling a spade a spade.