Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

losing grip on pick.... help!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by panazza, Dec 9, 2004.

1. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I have serious grip problems with picks... no matter what kind of pick I use, they always start to slip after some minutes of playing... :crying: :crying: :crying:

I don't lose the pick but I don't like it to move in my hand while I am playing...

only jim dunlop tortex picks doesn't slip... but I don't like their sound very much...

I love fender celluloid pick but they are so slippy to me...

does someone encounter the same problem??

any tips??

I found a product called "gorilla snot" on the web... it should stick the pick to your hand... but I find ridiculous that I can' play without such an help...

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

2. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
  3. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    thanks!! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

4. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under

ummm let go?? and then start playing with your finger!!!!

5. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I was waiting for such an answer... :p

well, I used to play with fingers, but I prefere using picks... since I started studying good pick technique, I had never used fingers again... :bassist:

6. take some fine grit sand paper.. and rough up the surface of the pic, and use some gorilla snot (look at a local music store, it does exist) ought to help

7. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I was taught a long time ago too tight a grip on the pick makes is come loose and move around. Just as anything proper technique once learned seems to solve the problem. IMHO

tk

8. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    i use and only use these clayton picks, really good grip and they dont hurt your fingers at all

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/110419/

and i dont know if this happens to other people but i hold picks with my thumb on front-middle and my index and middle on the sides of the back, and end up concaving picks reall nicely and these concave and then keep their concave and makes it even easyier to keep a hold of, like your not struggling, i use .63s or .80

9. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I don't play with a pick, but I have seen one guy who drilled a hole in the center of em for the same reason... cheap fix, prolly works..

10. Using a small Drill bit, I drill approximately 5 holes in the center area of the pick. This helps me quite a bit.
    Gary

11. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    i hold it like that too, but i use 2MM picks, so i don't get no bending.

Mine can slip after a few hours of practice, i just tolerate it, and calm down on the rocking out for a bit.

12. IMO whatever can be done with a pick can be done with your fingers, plus some. Picks cost money anyway, and we're poor musicians so...

13. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Get Dunlop Ultex picks. They grip more as you sweat more. Really great picks, but I just wish they came in Triangles.

Graeme

14. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Up to twenty-five dollars for a pick?! That's insane. I don't see what could possibly justify the price of those picks.

Graeme

15. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I have some advice, don't use a pick!

But anyways, try taping your fingers or the picks. I remember when I used to play with some Dunlop Gator picks or something like that and Tortex, i'd lick it then play with it.

16. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Panazza,
    I use Jim Dunlop's Nylon picks. Though the thickest they make it is 1mm and you said that you use 2mm's, the texture on them is better than the tortex. I find that if you need extra grip on these or any pick, take as small peice of pointed steel like a tine of of dinner fork or an ice pick, and then heat it up in a candle and melt little craters into the surface. it creates a small divit with a ridge around it. I also find that the nylon picks are incredibly durable. they last forever and are as cheap and any other pick.

~trav

17. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Well then I'm insane. I'd rather have 10 lesser quality picks than a $25 pick that I'm gonna end up losing in a week. Besides, I have no 'hate' for small business, and I am not ignoring 'simple math logic'. Let's say I buy twenty triangle picks from that website, and twenty standard Dunlop picks.

20 Triangle 'Wegen Picks' = $400
    20 Triangle Dunlop Picks = $20 (at 50 cents per pick)

On average I lose or wear out about a pick per week. I'd much rather be out 50 cents at the end of this week, than $20 for a pick, which is a technique I use in only 25% of my playing. Plus, I have to wait for these picks to be shipped to me. In my situation, it's simply not worth it. I understand that you feel the need to defend this business, but your condescending replies are not needed. No hard feelings by the way.

Graeme

18. i use 2mm picks (purple ones) they are very shiny and slippy.
    chew your plectrum (hard) at every opportunity and it willl get tiny grooves all over.

i more instant result can be obtained by scoring several lines across the plectrum with a craft knife. this works really well.

2mm picks can take a lot of abuse and will never bend

19. sandpaper does work well, as does drilling. but i drill 3-5 small holes near the top instead of one near the middle.

20. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    dAndrea makes picks called Brain Picks, and they have a textured surface like a cat's tongue. The orange ones, I have found, are excellent for bass (1.14 mm). I got them at Sam Ash.