Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Losing low end

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dan Molina, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I use a USA muff Pi it fill in the roll as a rhythm guitarist in some of my bands work. Every time I turn the thing on my low end drops significantly and I get drowned out by my guitarist and VERY LOUD DRUMMER. Any suggestions?

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i believe it has a tone knob? turn it more to the bass side, whichever way that may be.

or, go out and get a bass fuzz/od/distortion (anyone of the the three) that is specifically made for bass or at least has a low end knob or blend knob. those seem to be working real well these days.

or bi amp, one clean signal one wet and the clean keep the bass in your wet.

3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I have a Russian Muff and at first I had the same problem. I actually, just rolled it more towards the treble side and boosted the overall volume and my amp took care of the rest.

If you like to mess with stuff there's a cool blend knob mod for the Muffs that work miracles.

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Boss LS-2? (or other loooper)

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Now I might be crazy but I always though spending $80 on a pedal that cost you about $80 puts you into boutique pedal territory, I'd look at upgrading the Fuzz pedal.

Big Muff's always lose low end, so just get something else, instead of spending more money on a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Distortion almost never works well on bass unless you blend a clean signal with the distortion. I can think of rare exceptions to this rule, but the Big Muff is not one of them.

7. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I run distortion on the high side of a bi-amp system..and leave the low end clean and dry. works like a charm :)

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    true, but a simple capacitor on the input jack can retain a good amount of low end. tplyons is the king of this :)

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Active or passive bass? Active basses generally do not like muffs. You might also make sure the muff is first on your chain.

The big muff pi actually does a very good job of maintaining the low end. Most mods are for *reducing* the low end in the distortion. The low end is passed through but only the higher frequencies are sent through the clipping diodes that cause the distortion.

10. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Actually it happens to both types. As soon as I turn the muff off I get a big boost of bass back.

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Sounds like something is wrong.... Or it was modded for guitar... Or they changed the design to be more "guitar friendly".

Sorry I can't really help more without the board in front of me :(