Losing My Head !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PaulF, Feb 27, 2005.

1. PaulF

Nov 17, 2004

I've got a Bass Collection SB305 - which I'm relatively happy with. I'm looking to get a new bass for the following reasons:
    1. GAS :)
    2. I would like to have a backup / spare (which I will hopefully use the Bass Collection for - I may even de-fret it at some stage for a bit of variety)
    3. I'm not happy with the active pickups and electronics on the Bass Collection (I don't like batteries that go flat, especially when they're behind a plate held on by 7 screws!, and the pickups pickup far too much amp hum).
    4. I find it a little heavy, and a little bit too big on stage (I play in a 9 piece soul band, and a lot of Pubs are a little small for us !)
    5. I would like a headless bass (I have borrowed a headless 4 string years ago for a few gigs and loved it)

Being an 80's child, I'm really tempted by a Steiberger Spirit XT-25 (in white !). I've looked at the Hohner BVa as an alternative, but it's approx £120 more, and only gives me active eq (which I'm not keen on) as extra (and I don't think haas humbuckers, so could be noisy?) - and it also only comes in walnut finish in the UK (which is a bit boring !)

Before I take the plunge and order a XT-25 (boy I wish I could try one first, but that's just not possible in the UK) - are there any other Headless Basses anyone out there would reccomend ? I've not got serious amounts of money to spend (approx £250, maybe up to £350 if it was worth the extra saving).

Any ideas, comments, advice would be welcome.

Paul F