1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Losing My Head !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PaulF, Feb 27, 2005.

1. PaulF

PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    Hi

I've got a Bass Collection SB305 - which I'm relatively happy with. I'm looking to get a new bass for the following reasons:
    1. GAS :)
    2. I would like to have a backup / spare (which I will hopefully use the Bass Collection for - I may even de-fret it at some stage for a bit of variety)
    3. I'm not happy with the active pickups and electronics on the Bass Collection (I don't like batteries that go flat, especially when they're behind a plate held on by 7 screws!, and the pickups pickup far too much amp hum).
    4. I find it a little heavy, and a little bit too big on stage (I play in a 9 piece soul band, and a lot of Pubs are a little small for us !)
    5. I would like a headless bass (I have borrowed a headless 4 string years ago for a few gigs and loved it)

Being an 80's child, I'm really tempted by a Steiberger Spirit XT-25 (in white !). I've looked at the Hohner BVa as an alternative, but it's approx £120 more, and only gives me active eq (which I'm not keen on) as extra (and I don't think haas humbuckers, so could be noisy?) - and it also only comes in walnut finish in the UK (which is a bit boring !)

Before I take the plunge and order a XT-25 (boy I wish I could try one first, but that's just not possible in the UK) - are there any other Headless Basses anyone out there would reccomend ? I've not got serious amounts of money to spend (approx £250, maybe up to £350 if it was worth the extra saving).

Any ideas, comments, advice would be welcome.

Cheers,

Paul F