losing my metal......please help.......

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Aug 23, 2005.

1. after a while with my group, i'm finally osmosing (perhaps) more punk into my system than usual. i need metal that's fast (other than slayer) nowadays. usually i wouldn't complain, but after listening to nothing but the sex pistols, the ramones, the dead kennedys, the offspring, the casualties, and any other name you can think of, this has gone too far. I've even started playing the damn music naturally!

give me some names and recommendations for groups. lately i'm listening to stuff along the lines of carcass grind
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Metal for metal's sake - Speed and Heaviness
    The Red Chord
    Strapping Young Lad
    High on Fire

Metal with signature, oftentimes decidely un-metal moments

Opeth - death metal with acoustic breakdowns
    Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - I cannot give this band justice with a description
    Horse the Band - metal + Nintendo style synths
    Dillinger Escape Plan - spastic metal with breakdowns
    An Albatross - noise that might be taken as metal to some
    Ephel Duath - jazz metal with trumpet
    The Mass - jazz metal with sax
  3. Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    meh if you dont mind newer stuff:
    Killswitch Engage
    Children of Bodom
    Shadows Fall
    All That Remains
  4. the red chord: i have clients
    mastodon: both their albums
    SYL: syl, city, alien
    opeth: haven't really tried it, but i'm looking for the pure stuff, no acoustic allowed unless it's really dark
    dillinger escape plan: crap. i got miss machine and made sure to trade it in ASAP
  5. the new stuff is too touchy feely for me.....killswitch engage, i just wonder how they're so damn big. avenged sevenfold might be ok.

i'm really just into the death metal stuff with blast beats (not for all of the music, for some tho) and strange genre names like "goregrind" and "gore metal". oh, and i've been listening to "cattle decapitation"
  6. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Let me suggest

- Chimaira's new album, the self titled one
    - anything by Cryptopsy
    - The Black Dahlia Murder - Miasma, I just bought this and really dig it.
    - Spawn of Possession, this is a really cool technical death metal band that sounds kind of like Cannibal Corpse
  7. +1 on the cryptopsy
    +2 on the children of bodom
    +10 on the opeth, check out their cd deliverance

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Miss Machine is their most musical record yet, so I definitely wouldn't advise you to get their earlier discs.
  10. checked out miasma. better than their first album when they were just trying to be traditional, but now their new stuff sounds like one giant song. also checked out cannibal corpse's "the wretched spawn". also tried out "gore obsessed" but found that the mix sucked so there wasn't much point listening if i can't hear the notes
  11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Since no one has posted anything to your standards, here is a suggestion. Go to cdnow.com, and search for a band that you like. When it comes up, it oftentimes has suggestions and 25 item lists that owners of that album have created.

Might be a start.
  12. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I definately agree. In order, get Master of Puppets, The Black Album, Ride The Lightning, St. Anger, Kill 'Em All, Load, Reload.

S&M is good too.
  13. that's actually a pretty good idea...I think what's really pissing me off is it's not so much as i mind listening to punk, but i'm having problems applying metal riffs to MY OWN music after listening to certain stuff and writing stuff that's similar (or writing with my friend who brings far too much of that influence). but i just hope this is a phase of lack of inspiration i can recover from.

as for metallica, they just got annoying. I had Kill 'em all, justice for all, and st anger, and nothing really stuck out
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Agreed. I liked Metallica, until I discovered how generic they were in terms of Metal.

But then again, I've already lost my metal.
  15. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Lamb Of God - "Ashes Of The Wake" (I can't stop listening to this disc)

Mnemic - "Mechanical Spin Phenomena", "The Audio Injected Soul"

Meshuggah - "Chaosphere", "Contradictions Collapse", "I", "Nothing", "Destroy Erase Improve".

There's tons more, but I'd be here all night.
  16. since i see i'm already getting posts,i want to point out that lately the metal i'm listening to is upwards of 100-120 bpm (slayer's probably 150bpm). i'm not too big on the breakdown music
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If you want fast The Black Dahlia Murder and Crytopsy that are listed already are bad ass... but one of the fastest/most insane grind bands going is probably Pig Destroyer.

You might wanna check out some Napalm Death too.
  18. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    No comment on the Dillinger is crap thing :eyebrow: to each his own. ;)

If your digging carcass...check out Arch Enemy.

At the Gates, In Flames...Fast melodic stuff.

Nile, Suffocation...technical death metal madness.
  19. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Hmm, fast punk that is metal, hmm.

That sounds like some Raised Fist. :bassist: