Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Losing say, 8ish pounds

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Minger, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Alrite, because this is partially a challenge (My friend said I couldn't do it) and I basically need to do it to move down to a 150 pound pole instead of a 160 in pole vualt.

So basically, do any of you guys (or girls) have any suggestions on how to lose the weight? I'm in track, yet I still manage to do very little running...when it gets warmer I will. But right now, the only really viable option is to well, eat less (er, a lot less. Man, I eat a whole lot of rice when my parents make good food).

Meh, being a vaulter in high school is so troublesome...in college they don't care about weight. I just dropped down to this pole in practice to practice bending the pole, and its just...awesome.

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    excercise first thing in the morning. Your body will use fat deposits for energy. And do Burpees, those things are hell, but shred the lbs

3. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    What are burpees?

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Stop eating bread and sugar. That'll do it.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    It's not always eating less, it's eating BETTER. I've lost just under 50 pounds since April and shed the most dramatically when I was running regularly (4 to 6 nights a week on the treadmill.) A few nights running 1 mile a night will help you drop a few pounds in no time.

That said, what the hell are burpees?

6. Don't drink pop.

I went from 170 to 150 from not drinking pop.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Put on a rubber running suit, and sit in a sauna for a few hours at a time. When your eyes get bloodshot red from puking, get out.

-Mike

8. Even though I wasn't the one asking...thanks guys! At 6'4" and 215 pounds I would like to lose about 10...and I haven't heard some of these, thanks! Damn those manboobs...

9. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Hm...eating less bread and stuff? Meh, this just meawns less rice for me...all carbs anyways.

I stop drinking soda (mostly) during track season - when I'm on the off season, I'll sometimes go for a 2 liter at a time (not healthy, I know) because...it costs less than a 20 oz bottle (sad but true).

And I never thought a mile a night would do that much - Heck, they give us at least a mile warmups in track and then the spring workout (which I havnt been able to do the sprint workout from a leg injury, I think I pulled it or strained it or something, because it only hurts when I stride out when I run; jogging more or less is fine).

And uh, what are Burpees?

EDIT - the all knowing google - http://www.warriorforce.com/articles/burpeeclip.htm

10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    First take math in school... 160 - 150 = 10 not 8 :)

BURN!!!!!

When you are done with that... weight yourself in front of your friends... show them you weigh 160... Then remove all your cloths, stand in front of them naked and weight yourself again... Guarantee results are amazing! Shoes alone are like 5 pounds!

11. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Who says I weight exactly 160? At my last meet 2 weeks ago I weighed 156, and want to gurantee that I can get under 150.

Erm, shoes are two pounds, but the racers I'm using are about a little less than 1 pound, and trust me, track runners are pretty close to naked (jersey, short shorts, and maybe socks?) :p

On the other hand, using the scale in the Wrestling room scared the crap out of me - it said I was 160.5 before my last meet, but they weighed us and I was 156...man, that was scary but my coach who was also a wrestler in high school said they did that just to force them underweight and stuff...

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I got size 16 so my are a bit heavier... you know what they say about guys with big feet rite... thats right ladies... when we put our feet up we cant see the tv...

13. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Just get a sinus infection, I've had one for the past month and I've dropped about 15 pounds....it pretty much blows :(

Hang out with wrestlers, we know all the tricks. I've lost over 15 pounds in one day when I had to certify at a given weight. there are many secrets.....nothing super dangerous, nothing too healthy.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Oh really?

"In 1997, the deaths of three college wrestlers—including 21-year-old Jeff Reese, who died from heart and kidney failure while attempting to lose 12 pounds in one day—"

-Mike

15. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing2.htm

I like burpees, they're fun...and no equipment needed...

+1 on eating better. you might also want to space your meals out more, for example instead of having 3 larger meals, have 5-6 smaller meals (totalling the same amount of calories of the 3 larger meals or so) spread throughout the day, like every 3-4 hours or whatever. also one of the worst things you can do if you're trying to lose weight is skipping meals...Good luck bro!

16. When I was doing pole vault, the weight of our pole didn't really reflect our actual weight. If you wanted to learn to bend the pole, you used something lighter than your weight. Once you knew how to bend the pole, you moved up to a heavier pole so you can get move power into the bend. We had guys that weights like 160 pounds that used up to 200 pound poles because they could bend them. Strength training in your arms can really help with the bend.

17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    no snacks before going to bed

18. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    pole vaulting is fun :) .

i do it too, but i also run a lot.

19. i lost 51 lbs last year and i didnt give up anything. i ate smaller portions, one pepsi only on sunday (i use to drink 2 litres with supper not countin the rest of the day, yes i love my pepsi) i walked 2 miles a day at 3mph in the hot carolina sun. from friday to sunday morn i lost 6lbs. good luck.

20. smoke

I just quit and have been hading the other way. Then again, I could use the weight so it is all good.

Seriously though, I don't know