Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Losing Scholarship?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Melf, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Last night I was at a party with some friends. It was busted by the police in a sting operation, apparently there was a Narc there and they got a bunch of weed from the owners and some of the party-goers. They were only interested in the people who had weed on them so I got off without a problem since I don't smoke. However, before I left they wrote down my information (along with everyone else's) and said that they'd report it to the Dean of Students. Is it possible for me to lose my scholarship? I've never been in trouble like this before so I have no idea. If I do lose it, is there any way I can protest it or something?

2. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Dude you can always protest.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    for shizzle.

4. I honestly don't see how you can really get in trouble. If they don't believe you weren't smoking then have them test you for it. You shouldn't lose your scholarship for being at a party having some legal fun (and by legal I mean YOU yourself weren't doing anything illegal).

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah yes right on Ty.
    ANd if you DO get in trouble, thats a pretty weak school.

6. Watch out though, it seems like every school now is putting in "guilty by association" rules when it comes to these things.

7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

The chances of you losing your scholarship over something like that is very slim. I wouldn't worry about it. If you go to jail, however, that's a different story.

8. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Was the party on or off campus?

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

the dean at my high school had a motto. = "Better the innocent punished than the guilty go free".

10. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    The party was off campus.

11. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Blisshead, that is a scary sentiment. I hope my Dean isn't like that :(

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    We thought so too. I hope your Dean isn't like that as well.

13. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Then you shouldn't have anything to worry about if you weren't arrested.

14. You could of gave a fake name,however if you were caught,you'd be in deep stuff.

15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Not necessarily. My University has the nation's oldest student run honor code, and you can get in trouble for stuff that doesn't have anything to do with the school. We have a single sanction honor code, where lying, cheating, or stealing can get you kicked out of school. If you lie, cheat, or steal anywhere within city limits, you can be taken to honor court. If you lie, cheat, or steal anywhere else and you use the University's name to do it, you can be taken to honor court.

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    there's a simple answer to this - go to the dean and ask him. tell him the situation - you were at a party, there were drugs at the party, those involved were arrested, you were not involved, not arrested, are you in trouble. being proactive about something like this would say a lot about your citizenship to the dean, which would reflect well on the situation.

wow, busting college parties because of pot. the ole' starkville cops must not have anything better to do.

17. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Was it a state school or not?

Have you read the 'by-lines' of the scholarship (should have accompanied the promissory notice, when you first received the chee$e)? There are sometimes 'code of ethics' riders on the loan arrangement, you need to take a look at it.

Another thing...

...If there was a 'Narc' at the party, there is a good chance that there were various rules broken on the part of the police... The trick is catching some of their 'falablities'.

Good Luck man, keep us posted.

Jairaj

18. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That's a very flawed philosophy. The idea of laws/rules is to protect the rights of the innocent; if the innocent are being grouped in with the offenders or the rules, what's the point of having any rights or protection? Sounds to me that your principal had control issues.

19. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Yeah, it was pretty bad. I'm not trying to turn this into a political discussion or anything but there was a stabbing at a club that could have been prevented if half of the cops in town weren't busting my friends for smoking weed.

JT: I thought of going to the Dean, but it's possible that the cop was only saying that to frighten me. He had the basic "tough-guy" attitude, he got up all in my face about "lying to him" before he even checked me...so there is a good possibility he was just trying to scare us. If that's the case then I think that taking it to the Dean would make my situation worse if he didn't hear anything of it.

j-raj: I got to Mississippi State. I did read the by-lines of the scholarship but I don't remember if it hand an honor code or not and I can't check now, it's back at home. I did notice a lot of discrepancies in the police' behavior. For one thing, they didn't have a warrant, and although it could never be proven now, they told all of the drunk folks drive home. Arrest people for smoking weed and have all of their friends drive home impaired...makes sense to me :rolleyes:

20. My highschool has a "party talk" rule. If you are caught talking about drinking, smoking, etc, then you are disciplined. I have a friend under 2 days suspension for talking about drinking. It seems like a hokey rule to me.