1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

losing sleepa vintage P bass or a boutique shop fodera emperor elite

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dickup, Mar 19, 2010.

1. dickup

dickup Guest

Apr 25, 2009
    japan
    a new fodera emperor elite tempts me greatly,at the same time I happened to come across a 60 original fender P bass on secondary market in tokyo.I have tried them, both are monster,their prices are nearly the same,around $10000.
    A very honest to say that I want to satisfy my Collection Desire. I have to make a choice between them, which makes me lose sleep
    Please give me help,folks
    thank you very much

2. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    You are losing sleep & you have 10 000 $$ to put on a bass.
    Poor you.:eyebrow:

3. racket

racket

Jul 26, 2005
    Riverside, Ca
    FMIC Employee
    Buy the Fender...They go UP in value...:bassist:

4. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Original 60 P? If it's in good condition, that!! Fodera's are great according to their owners, but their tone is not for me... old p bass = great, the pickup gets really hot with age (I see a cougar joke in there somewhere).

Oh, and dickup is both a little awesome and disturbing as a screenname, lol.

5. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    dickUP in value?

6. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    I second the Fender vote, they aren't making any more 60's P's but Fodera will continue to make Emporers

7. sirmike75

sirmike75

Jul 16, 2009
    Arlington,Texas
    If it were my money id buy
    lowend classic 5 **2000.00
    a modulus q5***1500.00
    aguilar DB750***2000.00
    a 2x15 cab **1000.00
    rack ***100.00
    monster rack rider**150.00
    wireless**500.00
    killer strap**50.00 x2**100.00
    sraplocks-**20.00 x2 **40.00
    dtr tuner**150.00
    1week groceries **200.00
    lotto tickets*** 50.00
    full tank of gas **80.00
    then i ould put the rest in my pocket 2130.00 wohoo

but to anser your thread question i would get the fodera...
    just because im not a fender guy...imo a old pbass ...feels like a hondo...not worth 10.000 imo...thats alot of money have fun with it ...i know i would

8. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    He didn't ask what you thought of his income.
    My vote is for the precision, can't beat classic Fender. :bassist:

9. YCBass

YCBass

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    If you're looking for a collector's piece then the P bass all the way... But if you're gonna go out and gig then get the one that will apply to what you're doing.

10. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    1st off its good to be you! 2nd the P bass no questions asked IMO. Its classic,rare and will increase value with a tone known worldwide. The Fodera,cool sleek,more of a hi-end tone that fits great in some cases but not all.

11. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    fender hands down. value will increase. just make sure is 100% REAL!

12. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    This, but that second part is the hard part.

13. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    If the p-bass is soooo special that you can't live without it, then buy it. Another one might not come around. Just don't let the collector value sway your judgment about the sound & feel. Not all old Fenders are great basses. That said, a Fodera can be ordered to your specifications at any time.

On the bright side, you can smile and be grateful that no matter which one you choose you will come out a winner.

14. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    I saw get 4 awesome basses instead.

But Fender.

15. t0t0m

t0t0m

Dec 8, 2008
    Fender P Bass..as value will increase again like above post, just make sure it's a original ,pure P bass.

10,000 is a lot of money indeed..

16. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I would go for the P Bass!

Cheers,
    Jim

17. This economy is proving that statement wrong, vintage prices have dipped

18. Where are you in Japan?

I keep looking at Fodera basses. So far have been unwilling to pay the Japan prices. However, it seems the vintage market prices have fallen in Japan and are more on par with the rest of the world.

If your considering it as an investment, the Fender is the best way to go.

Even though I'm perfectly happy with my BNF5 F-Bass, I'd love a 5 string AJ Presentation fretless!

Gale

19. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I don't know anything about the Japanese vintage guitar market, but 10k for a burst 60 P is high in the current USA market. Gruhn just sold a clean burst 58 P (gold guard) that was offered to my for 9k -- I passed. If it's a custom color, that's a different story. I'd offer $7500 and see if the seller bites. btw, if your user name means what I'm going to assume it means, it's rather offensive -- this is supposed to be a family oriented forum.

20. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    Either way, in 2 days you'll get buyers remorse, and wish you'd bought the other one.

But still, definitely the P-bass.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020