1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Losing Stingray E String in the Mix

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedWire75, Oct 26, 2018.

1. RedWire75

RedWire75 Supporting Member

May 4, 2017
    St. Louis, Missourah
    Anybody run ito this? The A, D, and G all cut through the mix like a hot knife through butter. But then the E is all boomy and indistinct. I’ve been tweaking pickup height (I had it too high) and trying to pull back on the bass from the preamp. On the Stingray’s preamp treble is at 60-80% depending on how aggressive I want it to be and bass is set around 70-75%. Pretty close to flat on the amp with a boost in the high mids.

Any other advice? Seems the lower the pickup is the less a problem I’m having but too low and I start to get too thin and the preamp is just adding in boomy low end.

Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  2. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    1) compressor
    2) increase low mids
    3) new strings

3. RedWire75

May 4, 2017
    St. Louis, Missourah
    Forgot to include I’m running a Diamond Bass Comp Jr. Strings are less than a week old.

Wouldn’t you think low mids would just be too much with the boomy low end?

4. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    Your tone is (as far as I see) designed to have a weak E string in the mix. Increasing the lows makes the E string boomy, and increasing the highs does nothing to make the actual note cut. You want more midrange if you want the E string to cut through. It will never cut through as well as A or D do,but it is a compromise.

5. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Low mids should help define the low end. If it's boomy, you have too much low bass in the eq. This is a strange issue to have with a Stingray. I had 2 in the past and they were anything but boomy and undefined.

6. RedWire75

May 4, 2017
    St. Louis, Missourah
    I’m still tweaking where I want the bass knob on the ray set... had one back in the 90s that I used to turn it all the way up and didn’t sound like this. Although I was using sealed cans then too.

7. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    What frequency have you set your HPF? (High Pass Filter)
    I find 80hz HPF does wonders for cleaning up "boomy E string."

Or if you are looking for a technique solution (as opposed to a gear solution) try plucking a bit closer to the bridge when you play E string notes.

mikewalker, hintz and alesreaper9 like this.
  8. RedWire75

May 4, 2017
    St. Louis, Missourah
    Not everyone here has an HPF... ;)

9. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I gotta say, I never had an issue with a weak E string with a Music Man (SR5, a little different beast), nor a weak G string, which isn’t known to be an affliction with the SR5, either.

Might there be another Stingray similar to yours that you could compare it to? Just throwing this out there, could there be a problem with either the bridge saddle piece or the nut that is preventing a solid termination of the string?

This sounds like a mechanical issue that needs a mechanical solution, not an electronic issue solved by the likes of compressors and such.

Good luck...

joebar, Reedt2000 and Element Zero like this.
  10. RedWire75

May 4, 2017
    St. Louis, Missourah
    I wouldn’t say it’s weak at all. It sounds huge but while the other three string have that mid and clank grind the e is missing it. I’ve only had it a week so tweaks continue. Could be action or pickup height combined with too much bass from the preamp.

11. RattleSnack

RattleSnack Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    It could be that you boosted lows too much, and trigger compressor heavily. Try with flat lows on your bass, also try playing without compressor.

jonlimo and dheafey like this.
  12. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Bump the low mids and keep bass control flat or even cut until you have enough punch. Give the bass a boost after that to taste, but be mindful of dialing in boom factor.

FenderBassist and Tony Rotella like this.
  13. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    Your ideal chain would be SR -> HPF -> Compressor -> EQ

One of the reasons I never liked active EQ on a bass is that I would always prefer to compress before the EQ, so that as long as I have a balanced tone it will behave naturally, and then I can EQ it to my tastes. Having a scooped EQ fed into a compressor causes the boomy lows to trigger the compressor too quickly, and even those highs can mess with the overall level if you aren't careful.

nolezmaj likes this.
  14. RedWire75

May 4, 2017
    St. Louis, Missourah
    My goal is to keep it as flat as possible but without knowing where that is on a Ray it’s guessing and trial and error.

InhumanResource likes this.
  15. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Treble and bass above 50% equals mid scoop. I suggest easing back on both to bring back the mids.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    FenderBassist and lermgalieu like this.
  16. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I may have missed it but, what preamp is in it? 2 band or 3 band? I have a 3 band, and I only put the bass (and treble) a hair beyond the center. Any more and its too much bass (or treble)

17. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Don't be afraid to cut back on the bass. If it's too boomy, there is too much bass. Many times it's the room that's causing the issue.

18. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    What strings are you using? If they're a brand that's shy in the mids like Slinkys it could be one of your problems.

19. RedWire75

May 4, 2017
    St. Louis, Missourah
    Sorry. Two band EQ.

DR Fat Beams.

20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    1 - use lighter strings … like a .95 E
    2 - dial up the mids and dial back the bass

Also check to see if the guitars have too much low end … are they running 4x12s?