losing technique??

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by SSCBA, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Hi!
    first of all I have to say that I'm from Argentina, so sorry for my english.
    Well, the problem is that I've been playing 4 string bass for 3 years, and now I upgraded my ibanez sr300dx to a 5 string spector legend. I like the sound of the bass, but I feel that since playing that bass I lost technique, improvisation, etc, specially in funk-rock songs (red hot chlli peppers). I think that part of the problem is the narrow string spacing of my new bass (16,7 mm)...
    Is this normal when changing from 4 to 5??
    thank you very much!

2. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    I feel like my four strings spacing is too far apart after playing my five awhile. Its good to change up often.

3. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I played on a 4 string P-bass for a long time, and then I got a 6 string Yamaha. The strings are closer together on the Yamaha and I actually feel that my technique improved due to the more narrow spacing. I don't play a lot of slap bass, but it is possible on the Yamaha. Chording is easier and the narrow spacing is easier on my hands.

Joe

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022