Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loss of gain in Cirrus??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jerry Ziarko, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Recently, the amount of gain in my Cirrus has been greatly reduced. Batteries are both new (9.65v) and all pots appear to be working fine. No static or breakup in sound, just a limited amount of gain. I removed the pre-amp and all connections and solder points look good. The input jack seems solid with no play. Any ideas what might be causing this???

2. Sure that EQ are the same as before?
    String height? and Pickup has not been altered?

3. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    NOTHING changed except output. I am at a loss on this one. Everyone I've spoken with about this has never heard of this problem before?????????????????

4. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    try checking battery voltage while installed, plugged in and pluck a string. Does the voltage drop significantly?
    Two thoughts if that is the case. A defective battery or something pulling it down (a short), either in the preamp or a pickup. Otherwise a defective component on the preamp :confused:

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1 on the battery. My Cirrus did this one day and the output got less and less, until I finally heard it crackle and fade out...dead battery.

6. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Replaced both batteries just for good mesaure, checked voltage while plucking--No Change! Now what??

7. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    repair or replace preamp ???

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Contact Peavey customer service or shoot them a message over at the Peavey forum.