1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Loss of Volume Control on Jazz electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    So I'm at practice the other night, with my Fender Jazz and I noticed that I couldn't turn the volume off on my bass even though the two control knobs were turned to 0. I fiddled with the tone pot and after some scratching and a pop or two, the bass finally started working properly. I thought that the bass sounded weird afterwards but now that Its home, I cannot say for certain that I can detect anything amiss. Is it possible that I am headed for a problem down the line or is it probable that nothing is wrong and what ever it was that caused that to happen has just 'cleared' itself?

My biggest concern is a failure during a gig and the bass becomes totally disabled.

2. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Sounds like you need to use some contact cleaner on the pots. I like Deoxit 5 but most any contact cleaner will work. Just squirt some in little holes in the case near the wire terminals and work the pot control back and forth several times.

3. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Thanks for that. I did open up the control plate and looked around. I noticed that there were two black wires coming from the neck pup and there was only one white wire connected to to input jack. The Tone pot had an orange cap connected from terminal three to the case. I assume terminals are number one, two and three from left to right looking at the back of the pot and with the terminals down.

The holes you refer to are square about 1/8 of an inch by about a sixteenth?

4. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Also the tone pot made noise through the amp when I touched it. I moved my finger around and found that the noise eventually stopped. I also noticed that the white connections from pot to pot also made noise when I touched them. Same noise you hear when you touch the tip of the jack when its plugged into a amp when its on.

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Your bass does not have an input jack.

6. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    "Your bass does not have an input jack."
    Common mistake many call it the input jack because they plug their cable into it. As you know he was referring to the output jack. It is the output of the guitar to the amp thus called the output jack. I typically have the cap from the middle terminal to the case with the #3 no connection and the signal wire on #1 terminal then to the tip connection of the output jack.