1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Loss of volume on my Genz Benz Streamliner 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bluzlvr, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Bluzlvr

Bluzlvr

Aug 8, 2012
    Dayton, OH
    I've got a couple year old Streamliner 600 that has been lightly used. Lately its seems that it not nearly as loud. Settings are the same and no change in cabs, cords etc. This could be my imagination I guess. Could I have just gotten used to it and it doesn't seem as loud when it is? No odd noises or anything. Could the preamp tubes wearing out cause this issue. As I said, it's not played out much, mostly in my home. What's an avg life span of 12ax7 tubes? Any thoughts?

2. 12AX7 tube can last for decades. If the amp has an effects loop try running a signal cable between the send and return and see if that helps.

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Could be imagination, could be a defective tube. Generally tubse last for 10+ years, BUT I have also seen defective tubes.

Take a known good 12AX7 and swap into the V1 position, test, then into the V2 position and test and then the V3 position and test. Did the results change with 1 tube position?

(Swap the tubes with the power turned off)