1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Loss Of Volume

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by mikejdexter, Feb 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Jul 9, 2009
    UK
    Has anyone noticed a loss of volume on their EUB when going up the fingerboard? In the bottom end the sound is great--full and rich. When going up the FB (from the D on the G string) the volume gets thin. Anyone experienced this? Strings maybe? Pickup maybe?
    If you have changed the stock pickup to a better one what pickup is your choice?--and strings?
    The bass in question is the Eminence. Interesting to hear your 'trials & errors' on the subject.

2. Tonysuarezbass

Tonysuarezbass Supporting Member

Arco or Pizz?

3. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Jul 9, 2009
    UK
    Thanks Sylenthunter for your reply. --Pizz.

While on my subject of my question: 'Loss of volume' would a graphic EQ cure the problem?. If so--for the technically minded--what would you set the frequency range for say the D on the G string upwards for more volume?

4. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I had an Eminence and never experienced a loss of volume as I played higher pitched notes so I think something is wrong. Maybe the pickup? Could it be your technique? Maybe make a recording for us to hear? Phone Gary; he may have heard of this issue before.

5. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Jul 9, 2009
    UK
    Hi Tom
    Thanks for the reply. You may have something there regarding the pickup. I changed the stock 'Realist' pickup to an 'Underwood' which I had used on my DB. As you probably know the 'Underwood' has two 'wings', fitted to the G & the E side of the bridge. I read that one will get more volume with just the E wing fitted which is as it is now---so I will fit the G wing (So both wings are fitted) and keep you posted on the result. Mike

6. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Jul 9, 2009
    UK
    Tried the two 'wings' of the 'Underwood' on the bridge---no difference in volume. (Both 'wings' working OK). Perhaps it is my imagination regarding up the FB sound. Sounds pretty OK playing at home but in a band situation the lower end is great but not very audible up the FB.
    What pickup do you use/like on your EUB? Personally I'm not a magnetic fan--but perhaps a blend of magnetic and acoustic pickup? Do any of you blend pickups?

7. Maybe that's due to the increased stiffness of the string when you pluck it at a shortened lenght.
    Which strings do you use by the way?

8. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Recommend? I used Gary's modified copper Realist on my Eminence because that's what it came with and I thought it sounded good enough. No feedback at the kind of volumes I played on jazz gigs and big bands. Amplified, I thought the Eminence is fine as it's intended but I really wanted a full acoustic, carved bass tone, though once the volume gets up there, the difference is probably undetectable to the vast majority of people. Still, I'd recommend trying the copper Realist that Gary sells. I think he charges around $150 for it, and I didn't find I needed a pre-amp although it might have been a good idea because I did find I needed to fight boominess commonly.
    There's a guy on TB who's using an Ischell contact mic and I think he's happy with the results. Maybe he's posted a recording? I don't remember off hand.
    Lynn Seaton tried using a modified Full Circle - built especially for him by the manufacturer - but I believe he said that it didn't work the way he had hoped. Again, I think there's a thread here about it.
    And, I've heard Bob Sinicrope using a different pickup for the past couple of years and I think he is happy with it, but I can't remember what it is now. It might be a Full Circle but I'm not sure. You could email him to ask and I'm sure he'd respond with what he knows.
    See what Gary's return policy is on the copper Realist, or, I think Gollihur has a 7 day return policy on most things, if they retail that pickup. If I still had my Eminence I'd offer to ship you mine and let you try it, but I sold it last year.

9. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Jul 9, 2009
    UK
    Francois--My Eminence is strung with Spirocore Weichs. I 'pluck' about 2--3 inches from the end of the FB. I use the side of my finger to pluck--sometimes two fingers. I tend to 'dig' into the string for a solid sound.

Tom--Thanks for all your info.

I think I should experiment with a different pickup. I think the Eminence is a great EUB.

Tom Lane likes this.
  10. Tonysuarezbass

Tonysuarezbass Supporting Member

Do you pluck closer to the end of the finger board as you play higher?

11. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Jul 9, 2009
    UK
    Hi Sylenthunter
    No--I am pretty constant when I pluck. If I go to the octave C on string G I pluck in the same place as the lower register.
    I have a feeling it could be a pickup problem.

Those of you who are familiar with a graphic EQ could that the bring out the higher notes? I have messed about with a graphic EQ in the past--on a previous bass--and not had much success. Not being a technical person what frequencies (on the sliders) should I be looking for to bring out the higher notes? Am I correct in thinking that each venue you play in--due to the acoustics of the room--one will probably have to adjust the EQ?

12. You'd be better served by cutting the louder notes than boosting the softer ones. Boosting amplifies things you might not want boosted.

eva_gabor_portrait.