Lost A Friend Yesterday

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Jul 15, 2019.

1. My friend of about 30 years passed away yesterday from lung cancer, and acute kidney failure, probably caused by the cancer.

He smoked at least two packs of cigarettes a day, since he was about 18.

Today would have been his 50th birthday.

I didn't post this to get condolences, but to let anyone who reads this and smokes know that cigarettes will kill you. His death was not pleasant, nor was the last month as all his friends watch him waste away.

He went from diagnosis to death in less than three months.

Please, if you smoke, quit or if you have a friend or loved one who smokes, nag them until they quit.

His name was Anthony.

Be well.

Mike

2. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Getting rid of the “It won’t happen to me” mindset if a good first step to correcting bad behaviors and habits. I’ve taken steps to correct my own problems to be in better health for the future. Sorry for your loss, and I hope your thread is a positive influence on people.

The Owl, PWRL and FRoss6788 like this.
  3. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, Anthony.

And thanks for your words of wisdom. If you enjoy the cigs and the "Big C" don't get ya, then COPD will. Not a very dignified way to leave this Earth.

4. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    Oh man, that's a hard one. :( Peace & comfort to you & yours, and Anthony's circle as well.

You're absolutely right about the cancer sticks. Nothing cool about them anymore.

FRoss6788 likes this.
  5. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    Our organs are truly marvelous, they take much abuse but when they fail, it can be catastrophic. We need to learn to eat well and take care as early in our lives as possible.

6. Sorry for your loss, Michael. RIP, Anthony.

7. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Sorry for your loss.

And fair play to you for taking such an opportunity to remind us all to look after ourselves better.

8. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Thanks for taking the time to post this

9. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Michael, I know this doesn't help much, but do your best to remember the good times and have faith that you will see your friend again one day.

10. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I’m sorry for your loss and that of his family.

The body of science regarding the negative effects of smoking is so overwhelming. I understand how hard it is to quit. But what completely baffles me is seeing young people who choose to smoke anyway.

FRoss6788 and JimK like this.
  11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    @Michael Jewels - I'm sorry for your loss.

I smoked for 24 years and quit cold turkey in Sept 2003. Watching a heavy smoking friend die a slow death from emphysema was all the motivation I needed.

12. I'm sorry for your loss Michael.

I myself was a smoker for 25 yrs, I quit smoking 9 years ago, and has been free of cigarette ever since. My close friends are still smoking, I encourage them to quit and I hope they hear me and quit one day.

13. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    Don’t forget emphysema, too.

14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    My condolences Michael. Losing a friend is never easy. A three month span is quick. No where near enough time to process it.

15. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

My best friend in life died from emphysema. He quit smoking, but the damage was done.
    He couldn't even leave home the last year of his life, so I'd come around to visit him & see what sort of projects he was working on. The man was a genius, had worked in the Jet Propulsion Lab in NASA, and was also a child star, as Baby Dumpling & later in It's a Wonderful Life as Pete Bailey.

I'm shocked at how many folks in Health Services smoke, considering they really should know what it does to your body.

16. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Sorry for your loss...

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Mikey, I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. Hugs.

18. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Sorry to hear this @Michael Jewels.
    My sister was dying of cancer and I took her to the grocery store. She was hooked up to her portable oxygen as we walked out of the store. She spotted a young women smoking a cigarette in the lot. My sister approache her and gave her hell. "Do you want to end up like me?"

19. Thank you all for the kind words, they are appreciated.

As we, Anthony's friends are now talking to each other about his death, we're coming up with a theory that he probably knew he was sick for about two years. That's when he went to the doctor for a completely unrelated medical problem, and that's when he began saying things like, "what do doctors know?"

Then, this April, when he had to go to the doctor again, he began saying things like, "I'm going to leave, Paticia my house."

No one put 2+2 together, until we could see that he was rapidly losing weight.

He probably did this not to upset anyone, he was that kind of guy.

It really doesn't matter now; his wake is today, and his funeral is tomorrow.

As I stated originally: If you or a friend or loved one smoke, please try to quit, so that you don't share Anthony's fate.

Have your friends or loved ones read this thread.

Be well.

Mike ;)

kobass and DaveDeVille like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021