1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lost a little more faith in humanity everyday.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by adammazza, Jan 20, 2012.

1. I take the subway to and from work each day. Today on my way home a man and his wife get on a few stops after me, and the man is walking with a cain. Not sure he really needed it, but whatever, I got up and gave him my seat.

The seat was perpendicular to the door which connects the cars. Once I gave him my seat I took this spot(yeah yeah I know you shouldn't lean on the door). Anyone that rides the NYC subway know the spot I'm talking about.

Anyway I have my headphones on but see him and his wife occasionally glance at me with a pissed off look and become slightly animated. Keep in mind I am all of 2 feet from them.

I also noticed one or both of them were either strung out, or just not quite right. I turned off my music to listen to them, but kept my headphones in. To put it bluntly they were complete trash...

Finally the wife mumbles something along the lines that I am a jack ass to her husband(she used more colorful language) because apparently not only should I have given him my seat, but I should have also cleared way so she could have the spot I'm standing in. Keep in mind her spot was all of a foot or so from her husband.

Anyway, once I heard this, I removed my headphones and basically laid into both of them. Turned out he was completely bat sh*t crazy and after a few minutes damned me to hell.

Completely crappy situation. Finally just had to walk away.

Sorry for the rant! Have a nice weekend ;)

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    meh, ride the NYC subway long enough and you'll see lots of entertaining things, but yeah that would tick me off as well.

3. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    You did a good thing by giving them the seat.........just take comfort in that. Don't worry about if they are appreciative or not.....after all, you didn't do it because you wanted to hear "thank you". You did it because you felt it was the right thing to do. Good on you for that. Arguing with them on the other hand......ah I say just let it go and smile......Karma, you know?

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Ive lost a lot of faith in humanity as of late, myself.
    The ****ed up things people do to each other makes me really sad.

5. Not that much different that "The Rocket"

Ding, ding, ding.

6. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Are you gonna Rage quit the subway now?

7. Yeah wasn't that they didn't appreciate it. That happens all the time....Was just real pissed that they were upset with me for not also clearing a spot.

8. :D

9. You were kind and considerate.

As the saying goes, "blank" 'em if they can't take a joke.:hyper:

10. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Yep, I know exactly how you feel. I've given up my seat a few times, to pregnant women, elderly, etc...most of the time they're grateful, but I have come across a few dbags.

11. Keeping in the same theme of NYC Subways:

This one time I was heading to school, just standing on the platform in Penn waiting for a downtown 2 train. I usually make it a point not to look at people and I always mind my own business. So as I am standing there, this short stocky man walks in front of me and then just stares at me for a good 20 seconds.

At that point I said to him, "Excuse me?". Then he remarked, "What's with that beard!?" Once again, I said, "Excuse me?" Now he got a little more aggressive and started asking how old I was. I didn't even know if I should keep talking to him, but I told him my age, which was 22 at the time, and then he started inching closer to me, exclaiming how I should not have facial hair at my age.

Then he started using profanity, saying how "f-ing old" I look with facial hair and that I should shave it. This is when I started to walk away in shock and dismay. After walking down the platform a little bit I see that he had moved on, and not even one minute later he started berating another person on the platform. At that point the concession person on the train platform came out of his stand and started shooing the guy away.

...Just another day in NYC. For the most part I make a habit of standing on subways unless the train car is mostly empty.

12. Sounds like the LIRR platform.....

Funny thing is, I usually stand as well, even if there are seats. Just one of things I try to do to prevent from becoming a fat sloth....For some reason not this afternoon coming home.

13. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    As they say, "No good deed goes unpunished".

14. Don't even get me started on the LIRR. That's definitely the place to go if you want to see a real lack of courtesy and manners. I do find the unique etiquette of riding the LIRR pretty humorous though.

15. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    You should have introduced yourself. "Hello, I'm Bernie Getz."

16. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    My faith in humanity is holding steady, right at zero.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The other night I found a set of keys on the ground as I walked into the grocery store in town. As I approached the customer service counter, I saw a guy in his 60's talking to the woman behind the counter. I assumed I had his keys. Sure enough, as I got closer he was describing his keys. So I smile, hold them up, then reach to him to hand them over. Great story, right?

Wrong. As he snatches them from me, he said he was going to his Jeep that second and if anything was missing, he was going to call the police immediately. I had just come from work, so I still had my tie on and wearing a black car coat. I hardly looked like someone who would need to steal to survive. I figure he had a really bad day, and I caught the brunt of his embarassment.

-Mike

18. So you carjacked him and left him in the trunk right? ;)

That's what I wanted to do to this couple today.

19. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    Humanity is completely retarded, an everyone has something to say about something, and everyone has an opinion about everything. Screw them! You did a nice thing.

I find it crazy that people still find ways to be racist, homophobic and just flat out snobby these days, compared to earlier times. People today are finally learning to get along and not discriminate because of beliefs/race. Finally, we're becoming a race of people who just all get along. Think about years ago, I think we're finally making progress. Of course, we're far away from world peace because people still can't get along because we don't share common beliefs.

That's what I think, and that's what I have to say about that. ;)

20. This.