Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lost allen wrench

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fenderx55, Feb 12, 2005.

1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Ok, this is gonna make me sound like an idiot, but somehow i lost the ball-end allen wrench that originally came with my bass. Conventional allen wrenches don'w work on the new fender truss rods because they put the hole at the bottom of the neck (by the pickups) and to get it to actually turn i would need to take up the pickguard. anyone know where i can get a new truss rod adjuster? i haven't been in a store that has one to sell. this freakin sucks. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=18#

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    First of all, what is with that link? That's the link to post a new thread. Wierdness. Anyways, you can go to pretty much any Fender dealer, and they can call fender and order one of those. I have ordered single tuners before with no problems. That is your best bet.

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    thanks alot, funny no one at the store mentioned that :eyebrow:
    the link came outa nowhere. shrug

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You'll have to have them get thier little catalog out. I used to work at a fender dealer, so I know that you can get that kind of stuff. Just getting a salesman that is willing to go that extra mile to get you one is the hard part.

5. Or go to Sears and buy a set of allen wrenches with the ball on the end.. If you've got a Harbor Freight in your town, they'll have a set cheap.

6. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i miss hardware stores. i live in nyc cause im goin to school here, and hardware stores are not only few and far between, but price-gauging @$$holes that charge double. I think they finally opened a home depot on 23rd street though. even has a doorman from what i hear.

7. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    an update if anyone cares:
    home depot didn't have the ball-end wrenches, nor did the plethora of guitar stores in my area. They told me to call fender direct because it was "40 dollars worth of work for a 2 dollar part." i thought that was fair, im on hold w/ fender right now. apparently they're good ppl and should just send me the part.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you have Guitar Center nearby, go in and ask them for an accessory pack for an American P or J bass... They seem to have a habit of just tossing the packet in the drawer and not providing it when someone buys an instrument (unless you ask/demand).

Other than that, a decent tool store should have one... or maybe an auto parts store...

9. Yep, an auto parts store should have one. These really are not rare....