Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lost Fishman Pickup Clips

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by JYD, Sep 13, 2003.

1. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2001
    USA
    Anyone know where I can purchase the clips that come with the old Fishman BP-100 pickup.
    I swear I saw someone selling these on their website or maybe Ebay.

I never cared until this weekend when I lost one of my clips.
    This is the second pick-up on the third different bass I have owned and this is the first time I have ever lost a clip.
    O well maybe its time for a different setup all together.
    Thanks
    Jim

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    This would be my suggestion. IMHO, the Fishman is the worst. However, I've seen people improve it by setting the elements under the bridge foot like a Realist. If you are going to get rid of it, what do you have to lose?

I think the person who did this also added Rosin to the elements to keep them from slipping.
    Monte
    [​IMG]

3. The elements on the Fishman is not soft and flexible like the Realist and you run the risk of making (2)permanent depressions in the top of your bass much larger than the little one (under the foot)the original Realist models had. This is probably not much of a danger on plys, but if you have a nice carved top, I would think twice before trying it.

4. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    You Make a good point. However, the Fishman's are perfectly flat, and don't have that little dimple the Realist does (which I hate, BTW). I guess the whole element could make a depression, but I don't remember ever hearing of it happen when using the Fishman this way,

However, being cautious would be good.

Do the safe thing and get a good mic. I'm having a harder and harder time ever justifying using a pickup with the great mics that are available these days.

Monte

5. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2001
    USA
    Lots of good suggestions so far.
    I think I will try out the double sided tape before I plunk down 13 bucks to have two clips delivered to my house.
    I'll let you know how it works out.
    Thanks
    Jim

6. Aren

Aren

Jul 18, 2003
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Just an FYI- I lost a fishman clip as well. I used double sided, clear, foam tape (Home Depot- for mounting clear plastic accesories on your shower wall). It works, in my opinion, better than the clips (because the clips are f#@*ing ugly). I have been told that the Fishman performs better with the pressure of the clip on it but I didnt notice much of a difference. Good luck.

7. I tried a borrowed Fishman for a couple weeks. Did an A-B test at home acoustically, using the supplied metal clips (heavy) and some wooden clothes pins (much lighter). I was quite surprised at the muting effect the clips had. Launch 'em.

8. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    On their web pages, Fishman suggests using hot melt glue. I did, and it works much better than the clips. You can also play with the position of the elements.

9. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2001
    USA
    I tried the double sided tape.
    Seems to work well. I'll know next weekend on the gig.

Anyone really experiment with the placement of the pickup contacts.
    I have always placed mine approx. a quarter inch from the front edge of the Bridge between the A/E strings and the D/G strings.

Anyone try different placements with good results.

Send diagrams.

Thanks
    Jim

10. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    When i had a new bridge installed, i had the luthier put the fishman elements under the feet. She notched out a spot for them.

11. I saw someone with the transducers wedged in the openings an the side of the bridge using little wooden wedges. Also heard of them being clipped to the top along the "F" hole on the E string side.

The guy I talked to that had then wedged in the opening only used one 'ducer on the 'E' string side.

Didn/t get to hear it plugged in.

Keith