Lost in a dream

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by guillermo, Jan 11, 2005.

1. guillermo

Oct 1, 2004

Please listen to "Lost in a dream" by Dick Hindman with fellow TB'er Paul Warburton on Bass

It's soooooo incredibly beautifull !!!!!!!!!!

As a relative newcomer to Jazz and the Double Bass, I can just say that one day, I want to play like that.

Great music, thanks Paul for posting it

2. Thanks man....they played this at my late wife's service.....
  3. Nice job! I'm loading all this stuff into my MP3 player so that I will have music wherever I go…

Inspirational! (Thanks chaps!)

- Wil
  4. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Paul, music like this is the reason I keep playing.

Just wonderful stuff.

5. Thanks Matt, Wil and Marcus. Just wanted to let you know that I wasn't thrilled with the direct to the board pick on the bass. That was in 'Those' days.
    The bass plays the 'out' chorus on ' My One and Only Love' on the quartet CD. That's more like the sound that the Bohmann really gets.
  6. From Dick Hindman's liner notes for the 2 CD re-release of Secret Garden:

"First the tune Paulo was written for and dedicated to Paul Warburton, who is the most unique and original bassist I have ever known. He generates a wealth of color, warmth, sound, and energy on his instrument that I have not heard elsewhere. I feel incredibly fortunate to have had many opportunities to play with this truly amazing musician. Regrettably, Paul has been very under-recorded. Indeed, my principal motivation for re-issuing Secret Garden was initially to preserve his remarkable performances on this record."

The later CD, Speak Low, by the Paul Warburton Quartet is just as good, if not better. Very highly recommended. If there's any more, Paul, please let me know.
  7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    It's posts like the ones above that make me the most upset when links don't work. :(
  8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
  9. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow Paul you're sick as hell man. You're as good as anyone out there. Somehow I missed that. When I listen I hear Red... but also so many different influences. I guess that's what happens when you have a lifetime of experience... your playing is too unique to say, "Hey, Paul sounds like ______." You just sound like yourself.
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Freddels, thanks for the link! :)

Wow. Woooooooow. Here's a big +1 to every compliment in this thread (especially TBeers' post.) I've heard things off the TBDB sampler, but this is...wow. Stellar, first class playing.

11. Thanks for the new interest in my stuff Guillermo...that's nice.
    I'm gonna post some stuff....actually un-released stuff I did with Zoot Simms, Carl Fontana, Don Grusin and the great drummer Harry Kevis Jr. It's from 1969 and it's live from the Senate Lounge in Denver.
    I just wanna get Don's OK on it. Everybody else is gone, and unfortunately, that makes it fairly historic, especially in terms of Zoot and Carl being historic players on thier respective instruments....but I think ya'll will dig it.
    I have a thread, under the Bassists Forum Heading a few pages back, that lists all my recordings. Some Joe Bonner, Richie Cole, Bobbe Norris, Dale Brunning and Pete Christlieb.
    Thanks for the nice words T.......and Aaron too!
    And Freddels for the link.
  12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yep - Paul is DA MAN. Listening to Paul kind of reminds me of a concert last year when I got to hear Frank Morgan and Cyrus Chestnut play a duet concert. Every time Frank finished a tune, I found myself thinking, "you know, there's just no way a younger man could have played that...that's the voice of experience that's been around long enough to know what folly ego is". Paul's bass playing is kind of like that.

Join the club. :)
  13. When ever I hear Bill Evans anything I instantly think Paul now lol, in a good way. As well as being an awesome player, he is one of the nicest cats you will ever meet.
  14. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Go for it Paul, thanks for sharing ! Please, can you stir me to the list of recordings, I can't find it... Thanks.
  15. After all the time i've spent on TBDB, I don't know how the hell to do a link to another page in another forum! You believe that ****?
    Anyway Olivier, just go to the Bassists Forum Heading, then, it's on page 7. About half way down. It's a Sam Sherry thread I think.
    I'll post a better list when I get a little time.
    Thanks for asking Man.
  16. Don't spread that **** around Brian. I do have an image.
  17. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Hey Paul, I think I got it:
    t'was in this thread. piece o'cake. it is well known that old grouches defending their image can't link to other threads: don't even try :smug:
  18. :oops: :scowl: