Lost in Translation....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I watched it last night....I didn't get it....I wasn't confused...I just didn't get it....
  2. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    lost in translation is smexual <3
  3. Oh...that clears it up....
  4. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    :meh: what
  5. I've already gotten more enjoyment out of this post than I did from the movie. Well, I *did* like the strip club scene...:)
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wouldn't this be the definition of the phrase : "Lost in Translation" !!?? ;)
  7. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    am i to believe that a 24 year old, hot yale grad would dig a 60 year old.......come on...... :confused:
  8. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    that's the whole point. if you bother yourself trying to "get" that bit then there's no point trying to understand any of it.
  9. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
  10. Damn! I actually *understood* that! Thanks.
  11. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    It's a great movie about two people who are basically alone in a foreign country and find comfort and enjoyment in each other's company.

The girl is an educated person who majored in philosophy...so she probably understands that age is irrelevant. She is also with a drip who doesn't give a crap about her. The guy has been around the block...and being a movie star, he too often sees people interested in him as a movie star...not as a person, so he obviously sees her in a different way than most people he encounters.

It's a little slow, but interesting on a philisophical level.
  12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I loved it. What a wonderful movie. Very funny, and very touching in a subtle kind of way.

What I enjoyed most about it was the fact that the movie didn't bludgeon me to death with rote emotionalism, like most Hollywood movies do (Lord of the Rings, the Passion, Turner & Hooch, etc.). Subtlety can be a good thing, you know.
  13. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i saw this movie. i really enjoyed it. true, it was a bit slow, but i agree with basstriaxis about the great subtlety in it. it got me thinking and such. i give it my approval :p

14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I will try and explain a bit of it since it seems most people don't know what the movie was really about.

Bill Murray's character is an aging movie star that is shooting commercials in Japan for a certain brand of whiskey. Scarlett Johanssen's (sorry if spelling is incorrect) is a young wife of a photographer who is off doing things without her. That is the obvious part.

Why are they drawn to each other? Early on it is established that SJ's character is a Yale graduate. She is seen with others her age that she does not relate to. So why does she buy BM a drink? It is obvious that his age and experience is a draw to her because he is someone who can relate to her on a mental level, not necessarily a physical one which she already has with her husband. Take note that the two "love interests" never have sex. Why is he drawn to her? Many things could be said about this...one could be that she reminds him of his wife at a young age. Youthful, naive in a way about the rest of the world. She goes about exploring Japan with wide eyed curiosity (although she later says she feels nothing and blurts out to her mom "I don't know who I married.") while BM has a cynical and mocking tone that comes with being around the block more than a few times.

There are so many things that can be said about the movie. SJ's marraige can be seen as a young mirror image of BM's marriage that he describes. He talks about the "fun" he and his wife used to have when they were young and he first started his career. How she always went with him on his trips. Now whose marriage does this sound like? How much fun was his wife really having? Looking at SJ's marriage, her husband is probably thinking the two of them are having a lot of fun as well, but is she happy? The answer to that is clear. What is not clear is what road SJ's marriage will take...will it end up being like BM's? Will her experience in Japan make her do something about her marriage and her life? This also relates to what BM whispers in her ear that we do not hear.

There are many many things that can be gotten out of this movie regarding human relationships and human nature. I posted maybe about 3% of what could really be said about the movie and its characters. I've only seen it once so I am sure with multiple viewings even more things would be apparent.

If anything I said sounds confusing or underdeveloped, forgive me because I typed this out very quickly at work, so I was trying to go as fast as possible.
  15. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If you go to the movies for reality then I have to assume that either you are deluded as to what reality is or there aren't any movies at all that you enjoy.

brad cook
  16. All this time i thought LOTR was based on a true story :crying:

17. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

It's not an unrealistic movie at all. Read some of my comments above. To simply pass off their relationship as "make believe" is to miss one of the major points of the movie that in fact relates to many other character issues.
  18. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    needed to be quoted <3
  19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I dug the movie, mostly because their relationship felt very real, also bill murray is awesome.
  20. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I'm with WR on this one. Great movie.