1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lost in Translation....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    A hot Yale graduate, who is bored with her marriage and is a philosophy major to boot, is probably more sophisticated than your typical crew slut. :rolleyes:

Most intellectual women are more interested in a man with experience than some young boy who doesn't know much, regardless of how much older the man might be. Most young men bore the crap out of intelligent women.

2. Booooooooooooring movie. I didn't even make it all the way through it. Not enough going to entertain my ADD mind. Like the life of a movie star and a Yale grad has any relevance to my "reality." Most movie stars don't even remember what reality is and with the way whiskey was flowing in the movie I'm surprised BM's character could remember his name.

3. what he said...plus, i felt there was an attraction not only on the bassis Jared mentioned, but the fact that they were imersed in a completley different culture, and them meeting was a way of trying to find a piece of their own culture to relate to. Its like being a blue fish in a sea of red fish can make someone feel lonely and want like company.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Jared,

I enjoyed the movie. My statement is not about Lost in Translation but about movies in general. It's very rare that a movie is truly "realistic"...even the ones that people laud as being very realistic.

I think the Coen brothers said it well in a recent interview about their movie "The Ladykillers":

Even documentaries aren't real anymore.

brad cook

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

DigMe-
    I see what you're saying. Yeah I agree with that then.

6. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I thought Jurassic Park was more believable than this movie.

7. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    good review :)

8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well it wasn't a review but more of an extremely brief summation of a few points in the movie that I think most people will not pick up on. This is not typical hollywood fare where you go and turn your mind off for 90 minutes so we can see explosions, shootouts and gratuitous T&A. I think that's why many people don't like it.

I prefer movies like these, where you have to use your mind and maybe sometimes see it 2-3 times at the very least to start really understanding the point of the movie. But that is the difference between viewing movies as dumb entertainment and viewing movies as art (when it's warranted).

9. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    this may have some truth to it. but you will never see a sober, 24 year old, yale grad, who looks like a model chase a wrinkley old man!

maybe if they had cast a more homely looking young lady.....

10. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    good summation :)

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

She wasn't chasing him. She needed someone to relate with on an intellectual level. Since I wasn't there, it seems Bill Murray was the best choice. ;)

12. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    it did get sexual at the end though.

13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Not really..the awkward kiss? I would hardly call that sexual. Sitting on the bed is not sexual either. I don't think there was ever any sort of real sexual overtones between the two. I think we are so used to seeing that in movies we are conditioned to expect it or look for it.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's just because you don't know what he whispered in her ear! ;)

brad cook

15. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    That would really depend on the maturity level of the sober, 24 year old, yale grad. Not everyone sees people superficially. Attraction sometimes goes beyond the physical...especially for people that have their act together.

The portrayal of this in the movie is entirely plausable, if not realistic. Even on a superficial level, there are many young, beautiful women who date, and even marry, old rich men.

16. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I'm with Jared on this one. This is a very "intellectual" movie, with lots of subtelty and a certain quiet romantic tragic feeling to it that I enjoyed. Sophia Copolla is obviously influenced by her father (in a good way), and every time I watch the movie I see something new. Probably the best movie I've seen in the last year.

17. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    dude...........

i don't care how mature you are....a the chances of an old wrinkly man in his 60s getting a beautiful, young ...very young, very smart, not crazy, sober girl is slim to none.

of course attraction goes beyond appearence....

what are you talking about, lol :)

yes lots of screwed up, abused, on drugs, psychotic women marry old rich guys.....anna nichole smith comes to mind....i don't see how this is rellevent

18. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    but again this is a movie..........fiction....piece of art

19. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I just saw this over the weekend so it's cool that this topic came up.

I personally thought the movie was great, and I'm really picky. I honestly don't know anyone else my age who would like it though...still and awesome movie though.

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Great movie about two people with spare time in a city whose culture they can't really understand finding an alternative to just hanging out in the hotel bar with people they couldn't talk to.

There's all this talk of the chances of an older guy "getting" a young woman. Huh? He didn't "get" her. He wasn't even on the make with her. Their companionship wasn't based on sex or romance, though I think there was some sexual tension. Bill Murray's character wasn't a saint; his fling with the singer showed that he wouldn't resist a willing woman.