1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lost in Translation....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Mar 30, 2004.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Bayou makes an outstanding point. Could you imagine the pandemonium if people like Catherine Zeta-Jones married someone like Michael Douglas? If Anna-Nicole Smith married an older man, if playboy models started dating the geriatric Hugh Hefner? Or, how crazy would it be if it worked the other way, with some Hollywood pretty boy like Ashton Kutcher dating some has-been like Demi Moore, or Tim Robbins with someone like, oh, I don't know, Susan Sarandon?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I haven't seen the film, but I think it's certainly true that not all relationships between men and women are obvious or based entirely on sex - I know this is hard to believe when you are young and desparate - but as you get older and a bit more experienced, I think you value these kind of things more and more.

My partner says she can't hold a conversation with most young men she meets at the office/work as they are entirely superfical and obsessed with getting off with any member of the opposite sex. She thinks that more and more in future, women will be looking for older men, who can actually talk to them

On the other hand - in the musical field, people often appreciate this more - as men and women work together and there may be some sexual tension , but really you're just trying to make some great music. I've worked with some singers and thought - she could be my daugher! But then had interesting conversations about music, while young men have looked on, puzzled at why she is talking to me!! ;)

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    yea...

despite the age discrepancy, the movie worked for me.

two people drawn together, cause they're both lost in a foreign land, lost in their lives, looking for anyone else to relate to, and BAMM-O, find each other. what's there not to get?

and yea, Murray rocks. cant wait to see him in Wes Anderson's "Crusoe".

4. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    all of these people are within 20 years of each other or f*%@ed up celebraties. what is the point you are trying to make?

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

If you don't get that - no wonder you don't get the movie!! ;)

6. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    most young men? that's kinda an unfair stereotype isn't it? i take offense to that :) . since when did most young women become so high and mighty? i can't even begin to tell you how many superficial young women i interact with (most of them just want to date me because i'm in a band....they don't care about my feelings :) ). most young girls are just as bad as the guys.

7. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    lol yeah i guess he was playing a celebratie in the movie :).....ok it all makes sense now...

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI

The chances? Certainly not very good, but it does happen...and not just screwed up, psychotic women either. I know of two couples who are very happy together and they are very far apart in age. One, where the older guy is a lot of fun...more fun than most guys in their 30's for sure. The woman is highly educated...loves good, stimulating conversation...something she rarely gets from younger men. It works for them.

So it is not unrealistic. We are not talking about a movie with car chases, shooting and T&A...obviously the type of movies that are far more realistic. ;)

9. Bruce Lindfield

Funnily enough there is a TV programme on the BBC tonight in the UK, about this - "If....Women ruled the world".

So here are some facts from the BBC website :

At A-Level girls outperform boys in 25 of 31 subjects at Grade A.
    (Source: Depart of Education)

By 2010, 40% of women will go into degree level education.
    (Source: The Future Foundation)

More than one in three working women now earns more than her partner.
    (Source: Office of National Statistics)

One third of new businesses today are started by women.
    (Source: Women's National Coalition / Future Foundation)

In 1990, one in 12 managers in Britain were women, by 2004 it's one in four and by 2020, it will be one in two.
    (Source: The Future Foundation)

In 1999, four out of five women with families (79%) still do all or most of the housework.
    (Source: Diagnostics social and market research, 1999)

10. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    ok...................... :confused:

11. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    keep in mind the two in the movie looked about 60 and 22. pretty big gap...... and i'm totally fine with people dating whoever thay want. i just blurted out the first thing i thought when i watched this movie to get a conversation going.....i didn't light a candle and medidate on what i was going to post. very interesting conversation thus far though :)

12. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yes, this movie isn't about sex at all...which is what makes it so damn good.

This movie is about possibilities in relationships. It is a very poignant movie about relationships where sex is not the focus...imagine that!

That is why most younger men do not "get it"...it's also why most younger women who are attracted to older men, find them attractive in the first place. They do get it.

I once read a quote from someone..."Find someone you love talking with, because in the end, it's all that really matters."

That, makes ALL the difference in a good relationship. It's why I got divorced. It's also why I'm remarried to a woman who is 10 years younger than me (not that great an age difference I know). Age is irrelevent when you can talk about anything and everything. How wonderful it is to have meaningful conversations who is on the same "level" with you.

That is what it's all about...and the movie makes that point, among others.

Imagine the kinds of relationships we'd all have if sex was not even in the picture at all. When you think about it...if everyone looked at their own relationship and asked themselves what kind of relationship they would have if there was no sex at all, how good would it still be?

13. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    very boring :)

jk i'm with ya. i dated a girl for two years that was amazingly brilliant and my best freind. we got a long like penut butter and jelly. best relationship i ever had....maybe ever will. and you're right when i look back on relationships...most of them i think back to the sex....all except for that one where all i remember is sitting around talking to her.

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You seem really angry, and I'm not sure why. So, I apologize that you are so terribly angry. You didn't like the film, you didn't like the film.

15. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    :) :hyper: :) do i look angry?

16. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I think that sex is way overrated and way too much emphasis is put on it early in relationships...though it is very difficult for it not to be there.

The night my current wife and I met, we talked all night and we both talked about how sex was not the most important thing in a relationship...that it, most of time, clouded people's judgements about what makes a good partner.

Then we proceeded to do it anyway. :D But honestly, if something were to happen to either one of us where we could not have sex anymore, we would still have a great relationship.

I think the movie really stresses the emotional and psychological side to a relationship...where the physical side is not as important. However the part where she "catches" him with that lounge singer...also points out that while sex is not that important...it does play a part in a relationship regarding trust. It's always there...but that's human nature I guess.