Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lost MacGyvern Episode...The Brass Nut Problem!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BASSnSAX, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Hi,

I have a problem. (This time its not GAS though.)

Recently, I used the store credit that my band won in a local area Battle of the Bands. So I went and bought some Bartolini J-p/ups for my fretless Jazz bass, some new pots for it, new knobs, and for both my Jazz and my P-bass, I bought a brass nut for each. The nuts are All-Parts Adjustable Brass Nuts.

Now herein lies my problem. I knocked the old, plastic nut off of my MIM P-Bass and I went to slide my brass nut in, and POW! I didn't fit.

Also, the Fender nut is curved and the bottom of the All-Parts is flat. Would this be a problem?

The real problem is where the slot that was cut was only 1/8" wide, and the brass nut is 3/16" wide.

The slot is approximately 1/16" deep, but I believe the cut to be curved as well.

Does anyone have a suggestion of how I could cut 1/16" x (the width of a P-bass neck at the nut) x 1/16" with nothing but conventional tools? Or would I have to buy special tools? Please respond quickly!!

2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    This is the only part of your problem I can solve without seeing the bass............I think it's McGuyver. :p

3. I'm pretty sure that's the right spelling, I wouldn't know though, I was probably 2 or 3 years old when that show was on.

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    the adjustable brass nuts you bought are not intended to be used on fender basses. In fact fenders have a nut slot and those nuts are to be used at the end of a board, not in a slot, hence their width. Thos parts are intended for warwick replacement.

Also you "could" fit them but with some modification to your bass that I would't do... this is widening the nut slot and making it flat with a router.

You'd better fir sandard brass nuts, cut to the size of tour nut slots. IMO adjustable brass nuts are just "crap". Sting slots are usually cut too low and the setups mooves often when you change the strings.

What's the deal about having adjustable height? Strings slots should be the same HEIGHT for al string gauges (imagine a 0 fret).

Just my 2 cents

Peace, JP

5. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    It's not.;)

6. Thank you! I'll go in tomorrow and order different nuts, as the nut on my Jazz bass is also the "Fender-width" size as well.

Oh yeah, I suppose I shouldn't have put that "n" on the end of McGyver...oops...DAMN THESE BIG BASS SPANKIN' HANDS and these LITTLE LAPTOP KEYS!!!:ninja:

7. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    We're both wrong, it's "MacGyver". I had to go to Richard Dean Anderson's website to find it :spit: .
    (I feel so....dirty.):help: