1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lost my job today...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sav'nBass, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Kind of scary.. the prospect of starting over again at 60.

2. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung They’s only two things that money can’t buy... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    I've heard those words...felt my heart drop into the pit of my stomach... 3 times in my adult life. Twice, I cried. All 3 times, though, I landed in a place that was, without a doubt, a better place. Keep the faith...including Faith In Yourself, Brother!

3. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Hope it turns into something great for you. Be liberated. Take a breath. Re-assess.

I hear often how folks say things like "it was the best thing that ever happened" or "why I stayed in that job so long I'll never know".

Sending positive vibes your way.

ImNotJoel and 48thStreetCustom like this.
  4. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I sincerely hope it leads you to much bigger and better work.
    Keep us posted.

5. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm really sorry to hear that. Best of luck to you, sending good vibes.

6. Mike Goebel

Mike Goebel

Mar 26, 2015
    Rough day on TB today. I'm really sorry to hear about your job. Keep in mind that we are seldom given the opportunity to totally reinvent ourselves, and even though this is a terrible thing to have happen, you are looking in the face of potential energy. I hope you find the strength to turn that potential into something truly great.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Sorry to hear this! Network like crazy - get in touch with people you know and see what leads they can provide. I wish you the best!

old spice likes this.
  8. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    are you able to retire anytime soon on what you have saved? I really hate to hear that at your age, but I think if you are willing to down size a bit maybe you can find something to hold you off until retirement, hang in there jobs are coming back slowly. (unless you're in the oil industry)

9. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

all the best for the future.

onwards and upwards

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    One door has closed, another will be opening. Make sure you're ready for the new opportunity.

-Mike

skychief, Mike N and handofseven like this.
  11. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'm always sorry to hear about this happening to anyone - best wishes for good luck in the very near future.

12. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Bummer, man, but think of all the time you will have available to spend on TB!

13. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    Sorry to hear that, always really scary but just hit the apps indeed.com is good. Also play more bass and hang out here. Keep a positive mind and keep applying I am sorry to hear that.

14. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I'm going to be in your situation in a relatively short time ( not the first time for me). While it's nerve wracking and disturbing to know when the shot to the back of the head is going to come, somehow I've got a gut feeling that this is going to be good for me. When I think about it--how much money is enough when ones mental and physical health are affected? There are greener pastures, it just takes a bit of roaming before you find one--you'll know it when you see it.

Good luck to you sir. I'll leave you with this quote from Winston Churchill:

“Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

15. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

So sorry to hear this. Keep your chin up: another door will open.

16. It may be wise to seek the advice of an employment lawyer to ensure that all your rights as an employee are being met. You have not disclosed the reasoning behind your dismissal, so my statement may or may not have any bearing on your situation.
    As mentioned above, connect or re-connect with EVERYONE you have had any professional relationships with; friends or foes! Get your network working for you and treat seeking new employment as if it was/is your current job.
    Best of luck to you.
    Fishheadjoe

17. +1 to all of the above, and maybe if you wanted to tell us a little about what you do, we can keep an ear to the ground? I'm in Hampton Roads but have a few connections up in the DC area, I'm sure there are any number of others here that may have a tip or good word for ya.

18. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Best wishes man.

19. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

All I can say is best of luck. I have been through it, and it always worked out for the best. It never seemed like a good thing at the time, but as long as it works out well in the end, it's not so bad. I hope it works out that way for you.

20. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm also sorry to hear this. Best wishes for a better job soon.