1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lost my sheet music on first freelance gig, nailed it!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Famuus, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Famuus

Famuus

Feb 23, 2011
    So...

I started doing freelance work only about two months ago. Things are actually going well for there are some interesting projects rolling in. I spent most of my time teaching bass at home tough.

For my first freelance gig i was asked to replace a bassman for this Linkinpark'ish/pendulum,... type of band. They made some great music.
    It was all really last minute so after recieving the chords and recordings i started making little cards with chord progressions on them per song. i would put them somewere the audiance couldn't see them.

Then the gig came
    After playing the first four songs infront of about maybe 100 people, i was feeling really good. Then i flipped the card so i could play song nr6. But there was no song nr6,.... it said song nr7.

There was a milisecond were i was about to panic and i looked over to the guitarist and he had started playing already. I saw him grab a D chord and after that an A.

Here is the cool part:
    For the whole of the song i only played D 2 3 4, A 2 3 4, ...
    I sounded amazing and after the gig i was complimented and they booked me for another show.

I know it's not really professsional to loose your sheet music, but hey, it happend and i was able to deal with it.

Excuse my english, i'm from Belgium
    Greetings

2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Sometimes your best performances happen when you are "flying by the seat of your pants". The nervous energy makes it special. I'm glad your gig went well. Next time please share some pictures. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

3. Famuus

Famuus

Feb 23, 2011
    I will add pictures the next time... of me sweating my pants of due to panic attacks

BassCliff likes this.