1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lost space in my HDD need help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Sep 5, 2008.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I dowloaded this huge file 3.50GB in my main partition then transfered it to my storage partition (using move here thingy) and never got those 3.50 gb back

the thing is that there isnt any big files in my C:\ partition and got very little space to dowload other huge archives i need.

Any idea on how to get the space back other than formating?

2. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    empty your recycle bin?

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Done.

This is not im a pc noob thread i in fact have deleted this file from my C partition but the space it ocupied seems to be used even if have no major files in this partition other than windows itself.

4. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Do you have any other OS that could have interacted with it, and left a temporary (hidden) system file there?

Or maybe a temp folder for some software you used the archive with?

Sequoia could spot it easily, as Mingus proposed.

5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Yes ive used sequoia and spoted a 3.39 GB mounted image, the thing is that the image itself is held in the D partition so when i unmount it it changes nothing, the rest are insignificant archives.

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    is c:\pagefile.sys important?

7. I'm going with Yes.

8. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Pagefile.sys is Windows' virtual memory file. Paging (=swapping memory contents out to the HDD) can be disabled, but unless your system has a lot of RAM you'll find Windows beginning to struggle.

If you haven't, try the 'chkdsk' command. You can do this most easily from the Drive > Properties dialog: just click the Tools tab and select 'Error checking'. It should be able to find any misallocated space on the drive.

9. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
  10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Thx to all of you dudes.

The problem seemed to get fixed overnight, i went to sleep yesterday with 6.50gb, without doing anything to fix it, but the most amzing thing happened this morning, i wake up start the pc and 10.20gb of free space in partition C. Im happy i dont have to format!

11. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    I'd get a much larger hard drive & stop worrying about such small amounts of storage space.

12. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    i have a 250GB HDD but when i partitioned it i just used 20gb for the windos partition, back in the day it seemed ok but nowadays having to unrar files over 8gb gets tricky because windows renders the whole file in its main partition and then it moves it to the partition i want it to be...

13. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    You could use a partition manager to resize your C: partition without having to reformat.

I'd also suggest getting an external USB drive and dedicating it to storage. They don't cost much, and are an easy solution to disk space problems.

14. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Last time i did that, when i decided to give ubuntu a try, the partition manager i used, a highly recomended one wich name i cant remeber, managed to erase the header of the D:\ partition making it invisible to any OS. Formating and data recovery left a very bad taste in my mouth.

From now on every time i make experiments with my pc i back up everything.