Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lost the Battle ...Win the war?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Noah-Fecks, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Noah-Fecks

Noah-Fecks

Sep 13, 2000
    Scotia, NY
    Yeh.. This will be my last post dealing with the ground problem/ electronic buzz/ pickup hum/ crap/ blah..
    Over this christmas break I'm finially going to properly ground my bass. It's a MIM Fender Precision Bass with new Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounder Split humbucker pickups & a badass bridge. I had them professionaly installed & had the tone pot & capacitor replaced.
    Now what do i need to do to stop the ground problem/ electronic buzz/ pickup hum/ crap ? Any websites, hints or list of materials that could be helpfull? I am in desperate need of help. My bass is just dying to sound decent.

2. Well, you've done the most expensive steps to getting a quieter bass - How about trying a cheap one?

From Stewart MacDonald - www.stewmac.com - get some of their copper shielding tape and completely line the pickup and electronics cavities. This will help a great deal and is what all of the upscale manufacturers do in their instruments. Here is an example:

http://photos.onebigvillage.com/pubimage.asp?id_=63717

3. If all that was professionally installed, wouldn't the proffessional ground it properly in the first place or does incur extra charges? Here it would probably include GST. Damn i hate John Howard. lol

anywho Merry Christmas all!

:D:D

Merls