Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lost Wolf (tone)

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Basschair, Apr 8, 2005.


  1. Basschair

    Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

    Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hi folks,

    Super consistent, super bad behaving B natural wolf. Bought brass-over-rubber sleeve by Onyx from Lemur, put on yesterday, and my B natural became A natural, only on the harmonic (middle of A string). So, I made some adjustments, and now the wolftone is gone. Does this mean that I've solved my problem, or have yet to hit the strings just right?

    Thanks!

    Paul
     
  2. Two things:
    1. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth
    2. common spellings of that tomato-based condiment - ketchup, catsup
     
  3. Basschair

    Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

    Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    1. Very good point.
    2. Yeah, well...I've got no snappy comebacks for that. :(
     
  4. jtlownds

    jtlownds

    Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    I've been fighting a Bb wolftone for over 2 years. Tried muting the afterlength with velcro, with no success. My wolftone modifier from Lemur arrived yesterday. Installed it today, and the wolf is gone. I can't believe that something so simple can work so well.

    Jim Lownds
     
  5. Basschair

    Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

    Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Yup, 5+ years with mine, mainly on the A string just above the octave. I'd only really hit it while playing Reitba (Rabbath), so I put off doing something about it...I assumed it'd be a whole "to-do." This was just too easy. :hyper:





    (knock on wood)
     
  6. Shortly after I got my 7/8 Shen, it developed a horrible wolf on the octave A harmonic, which was critical in a concerto I was playing. We tried everything to get rid of it, but nothing worked until I installed one of the wolf tone killers. I used the smaller cello size, and it works great to this day. No noticable effect on anything, except that the wolf is almost completely gone.
     
  7. jlattuada

    jlattuada

    Apr 25, 2001
    Richmond, Va
    Which string did you put the wolf-tone eliminator on?

    Has anyone ever tried the New Harmony Wolf Suppresors? Made for Bass and Cello

    http://www.cellos2go.com/wolf.htm

    Thanks
     
  8. Basschair

    Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

    Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I think those showed up in one of my searches of TB, but being sold on a different website. They said they had luck with one at around 20 grams...you might want to look that up.
    Here is a thread that discusses some possible procedures. I believe that placing the WT eliminator on the D about 1 3/4 inches below the bridge did it for me...

    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54887

    Good luck!
     
  9. I put mine on the A and played with the location until it worked best. I tried other stings too and it didn't work as well.
     
  10. Johonn

    Johonn

    Nov 19, 2004
    Brunswick, ME
    My bass has a wolftone on the D string around the G#, and I got a set of the new harmony wolf eliminators, experimented with different positions, weights and strings, and now have it on the d string, just below the top of the winding downstream of the bridge (not sure which weight I used, but the more weight, the more effectively it reduces the wolf tone). The wolf tone is gone, and the eliminator only dampened the string by a barely noticeable amount, so I'm pretty happy with it. The nice thing about the new harmony eliminator is that you can take it off and put it on without removing the string, and don't have to mess with a screw (they stay on by tension). Of course, I didn't try any others, and am not sure you have to take the string off to get other kinds on, so correct me if I'm wrong.
     
  11. All I've seen are designed like the one I have. There's a rubber sleeve with a slit that goes over the string, then the metal collar has a slot. It goes over the string, slides up over the rubber, then you tighten the screw. The size I used was the smaller cello size, and it's a tight fit on the A. I don't remember for sure if it would squeeze onto the E or not.