1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lot of BASS !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by benlauziere, Jan 8, 2012.

1. I listen to lot of music recently and I found the real tone that I would like for my bass: a tone that everyone feel in his heart, in his head and even, in his bones, a tone that have a lot of bass, almost no treble at all.

Do you have suggestion for the bass models and/or amps, pickups, well, suggestion to get the tone I would like !

Thanks.

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    p-bass, flatwound strings, foam mute, ampeg b-15.

3. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    Well if you mean you want the kind of bass where you can't really tell what note you're playing, just kinda shakes the room like You Know You're Right by Nirvana, I suggest cutting as much treble as possible, obviously. Extra thick flats on a bass that doesn't really twang. Any good quality bass amp should be able to give you pumpin' bass. I don't know about what bass to reccomend, because I'm the opposite, I used to love lots of bass, but now I love abnoxious loud twang.

4. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    +1

A hundred Jamerson lines just flooded my head.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    High output warm toned humbucker neck pup solo'd or with blend well toward neck. And with passive tone rolled down as desired. If useing active preamp, with bass flat or boosted a little and treble set to lower treble freq center and rolled down to taste. The paulo warlocks with neck and bridge size humbuckers do the low bass thing better then any Ive heard before. Excellent articulation to. But you can roll that down if desired to with passive tone pot.

For strings, Dr round core nickel roundwounds. Or Rotosound swing 66 steel or nickel would eb and are my top picks.

Neck position P pups could also do very well for what your wanting. Moreso with active preamp to help low freq extension.

Adding a bit of ring modulation, no not pitcxh shifting, ring mod. Set to low freq to give an extra low bas synth like kick and add can also help. Pitch shifter set so root note of string is a 5th, 7th, 9th, or cotave above pitch shifter setting can alos be used.

And really good qaulity low bass responce PA speakers with hifi or JBL fun, voice orientation & qaulity. Lol. Brands of bass amps like Eden and Markbass also come to mind for sound system alternative.

O, the Gibson & Epiphone EBO/EBO3 basses with the old school gibson neck mudbucker pup could also work well. I'd add a preamp or at least buffer to it though. So it doesnt get too muddy. Lol.

6. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    J-Neck Pup.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    bassiest bass I ever heard live was a Gibson EB2 with flats, both pickups full, tone off.

8. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Yeah, the famous Gibson Humbucker, affectionately referred to around here as the "mudbucker". I first had one in a slot-head EB3, and it was sooo deep, you couldn't really discern the note you were playing so well, but you could sure FEEL the room shake.

A year or so ago, I put an old Gibson MBR into a frankenstein parts bass, and, yep, it still has that super-deep sound. These days, I like to be able to have at LEAST enough upper frequencies to add definition and let me hear the notes better.

Frankenbass-1.

9. Pipe organ. ;)

10. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    This one will give you what you're looking for.

Attached Files:

11. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Man, I'd love to take that rig out for a spin. I bet it has all kinds of "character!"

12. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Hard to say, even with those criteria you have tons of choices and not all will sound the same. Do you want mud, a big low cushion under the mix without much articulation, or do you want big fat tight bass that still has a clearly defined note, etc., or somewhere in between? Do you have examples on recordings you want to get close to?

In any case, flats would be the first thing I'd go for in any case, and a good powerful rig with a decent amount of speakerage. The rest will vary depending on preference.

13. Yeah I would like to have a "big fat tight bass" but that the sound still clearly defined. What do you suggest me ?

14. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Or Moog Taurus pedals!