1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lot of chop monsters out there with 9string basses but...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Here's one with more strings. The guy in the back with the Musicman looks totally clueless( just like I would be) How do you get that good????

2. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
  3. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Everyday I become more amazed at the talent that's in this world.

Thanks for posting!

4. What some guys won't do to stay in 1st position!

5. I am mostly in 1st position ( below the 5th fret that is ):)

6. You and Jamerson. Viva la 1st position.

7. I suppose the bottom string is the E string on a double bass & the top string once graced a cello!

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Lot of chop monsters out there with 9string basses but...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ??????????????????????

9. You did notice Ney is playing a 4stringer, right? Are you hearing all the stuff he's saying with just 4 strings? I find that very inspiring!

10. Absolutely SO sweet! Thanks!

11. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Yeah, he's really good but I don't see what it has to do with how many strings he has. I don't think that he's thinking that he's trying to prove that he can do more with less strings when he's playing either.

You can share without trolling you know.

12. I am not listening to 7 minutes of jazz. Guess I'm missing out. Oh well...

13. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011

I just laughed so hard lunch came out of my nose!

14. I don't know what you mean by trolling but I know what lurking is and you are not really lurking right now, are you? :)
    My Post was not meant to be a putdown to players who have these multi string basses. In fact Ney plays those as well ( there are other clips).
    I just think in these times where so many bassists think they have to go with a hi range bass for whatever reason, it is important to remember the even the common 4 string bass has a whole lot of music inside of it and is still relevant even as a solo instrument.To me that clip really is a nice contrast to many other clips on youtube where one might think that the 4 stringer is a thing of the past as far a soloing on it is concerned.

15. MrUsefulAlien

MrUsefulAlien

Jun 10, 2011
    Prague, CZ
    Ney is just awesome, I love his phrasing and his technique.
    Fwiw, he typically plays a 6 string fodera imperial, although the link on the op is you impressive, and ive watched other videos where tears it up on a four stringer.
    I enjoy his solo on his studio recoding of "partindo pro alto" with Nosso Trio.
    Here is a nice live version.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7CdDmU9pQ4

16. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Yeah, Brazil!!

17. Fantastic. A strong, eloquent solo.

18. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Wonderful!

:bassist:

19. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Great tune, tone, playing! Wonderful articulation, between the really staccato intro and the legato solo parts.

I played in a Brazilian/Latin jazz band for years, surprised I haven't heard this cat sooner.