LoTR: A clean sweep.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Smokey, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King won best picture, and tied the record for wins. It is also the first "fantasy" movie to win best picture. yay. :cool:
  2. Pretty damn stupid IMO that none of the actors in LOTR were nominated for anything. :meh:
  3. I thought Sean Astin would win best supporting actor, but then again, I have not seen Mystic River, maybe Tim Robbins was good enough in that.
  4. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    They had to give some awards to other people. I liked how at the end they made Steven Spielberg give the best picture award to Peter Jackson for LOTR. Just to rub it in a little.

I liked the movie. I'm not a big fan of fantasy however that movie was gripping and incredibly well made. I don't think I could sit through all ten hours of that trilogy again, however I will always think of it as a great movie.

Plus the production of this movie was rediculous. Filming all three movies at the same time. Digging the holes and scenes years in advance to let the moss grow in and look authentic. The score to the film was fantastic. There really wasn't any other production up to par with LOTR to compete at the Oscars.
  5. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    As much as I loved the movie, I really don't think LOTR should have won the top honors. It was good, yes, but the ending took forever!

Of course I don't really know much about the competition's quality... :rolleyes:
  6. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    I didn't really expect ROTK to win- LOTR has been snubbed two other times, I didn't suppose it would be much different now.

I'm glad it did win, though. My generation needs an epic film like that to see.
  7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I just saw ROTK a couple days ago. It was all good except for the part where the hobbit sang and the last 15 minutes. It should have ended right when Aragorn was crowned king and everyone was bowing to the hobbits. BAM. perfect ending. But noooo. After that another 15-20 minutes of completely meaningless drivel ensued. The movie would have lost absolutely nothing if those last minutes were cut. Still, ROTK was by the best one. FOTR was just too darn talky and the Two Towers was only slightly better.
  8. You have not read the books, have you?
  9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    they were probably just waiting till movie 3 to give them all the awards instead of giving them a few here and there.
  10. Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings

Be glad that they left out the other hundred pages from the ending.
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I am, that part of the book stunk, it had it's significance, but it just felt so tacked on!
  12. i thought a lot of the actors got awards, like orlando jones and such...
  13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    don't you mean orlando bloom :p unless we're talking about drumline now, cause if we are, then I'm totally cool, if that's what we're doing ya know? drumline...orlando...I'll get my coat.

:D :p
  14. ... watever, jones, bloom, same dif, just ones gay the other isn't