Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LOTR fans, clear this up for me

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, May 2, 2005.

1. Alright here goes. I was watching LOTR - The Fellowship Of The Ring, and Gandalf says he searched for Gollum all over, but Sauron's forces found him first, and tortured him. Now, I'm taking it that whilst Gollum was being tortured, Gandalf was in Minas Tireth(sp?) doing the research? Now, does this mean Gollum took a long time to shout the words 'SHIRE! BAGGINS!', or is Middle Earth very big, hence why Gandalf had time to do all this stuff before the Ring Wraiths got to the Shire? ORRRR, was Gandalf searching for Gollum on his way to Minas Tireth, but gave up, did the research, and went back to the Shire? I know this seems confusing but I know someone knows the answer. :)

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    You lost me at "LOTR"

:D

3. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    (I knew this would catch up with me eventually)

I confess my former geekdom.

1. Middle Earth is big. The Shire is supposed to be about 600 miles from Mordor.
    2. "The Shire" is what the Hobbits called their home. Nobody else called it that, so it took the Nazgul a long time to find it (years), despite the information Gollum gave Sauron.

Yes, I may even have played Dungeons and Dragons once or twice :scowl: :scowl: :scowl:

4. Ahhh ok, thanks. That clears that up. Dungeons and dragons? Man, I played the follo on game, Eye Of The Beholder, and it RULED.

5. once or twice? Come on admit it, you've gotten a character built up enough to beat the(/a?) tarrasque!

NOTE: I DID have to look up the spelling............but I also did look up the spelling to make sure it was right....so, I am a geek :scowl:

6. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    I'll offer up some dorkness on this one....

The movie doesn't really portray things in the correct time scale….after Gandalf leaves the ring in the Shire he’s gone for something like 17 years (can’t remember exactly). The movie makes it look like it was a matter of days.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    In the book OR the movie though I think the main holdup was both them finding Gollum and then figuring out what "the Shire" is.

brad cook

8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Hah!

I have no idea what you're talking about :D :D :D

Never got anything past level 4. And that was a crappy halfling cleric.

9. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Yeah the sense of time passing is totally lost in the movies. The entire span of 3 movies took over a year in the books, and like tiefling says, it was a long time between all of these events that took place before the actual story begins.

And also Gollum probably did take a while to give up the details of its location. After all, the dark lord finding the ring meant it was just as lost to Gollum as it would be to the rest of the world and he didnt want that hehe.

10. Ahhhh. That sorts that out. Thanks.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, and one more point, gandalf suspects gollum after bilbo finds the ring, and spends all the time between the hobbit and the fellowship of the ring searching for him as well. the time between bilbo's farewell party and when gandalf returns is, as tiefling says, almost 20 years. bilbo and frodo share a birthday, and bilbo's 111th birthday coincides with frodo's 33rd, which is a "coming of age" time for hobbits, sort of like a 21st birthday.

another thing, frodo was around 50 by the time gandalf returns - about 35 in human terms - while sam, merry and pippin were all the same age, just around 30, which would be like 18 or 19 in human terms. that's why sam always calls bilbo "mr. frodo" and looks up to him all the time, frodo is sort of a mentor to him. tolkein patterned their relationship out of the experiences he had from ww I, where officers in the british service would often have a young man who acted as a helper, who would in turn be mentored by them.

you get a much clearer picture of all this in the books. although the movies were absolutely fabulous, you really haven't experienced the lord of the rings until you've read them.

and i know what a tarasque is :hyper: :bassist: shoot, i played ad&d before a lot of you kids were born. lol. i'm old. and a geek. heh

12. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    *Level up*

;) :D

13. +5 cool points

roll the twenty sided die to see if Nick still respects you.

Natural twenty=new 7 string bass.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    What's his + to hit? If he breaks 30, does he get another doubleneck?

John, I'm a bit older than you, and a geek as well:

9th level halfling bard, 2 magical swords, 1 magical lute, and a wyrvyn familiar...oh, and +5 to hit on sword play.

:bag:

(I probably STOPPED playing before most of these guys were born! :eek: )

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Nerds.

16. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Too much of this post is me as well. Except no wyrvyn.

17. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Ha, I've got you all beat: My last D&D character was a vl 23, half-elven ranger with Lycanthropy! He was an avatar Mielikki of and had a celestial direwolf as his animal companion. That campaign took almost 2 years to play out.

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    +1

+15 boots of escaping at the ready.

19. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    In addition to what JT said, and to put things a bit in perspective (if my memory is correct):

Bilbo was 50 years old when he found the ring.
    He was 111 years (the ring had stopped his aging) when he left and gave it to Frodo (who was then 33 years old)
    Frodo was 50 years old when he left for Imladris (Rivendell).

Gollum wasn't found by Sauron. After he'd lost the ring, he left his cave to search for it. He found Mordor, where it was forged, and was captured. He was then set free; Sauron knowing that he'd find his ring. After leaving Mordor, Gollum was captured by Aragorn, and then interrogated by Gandalf, and then left in the care of the Elves. Later he escaped, and followed the company... you know the rest.

Again: I might remember things wrong, but I think this is how it went, basically.

I'd recommend reading the books. They're great!