Lots o' noise!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jivetkr, Oct 28, 2003.

1. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    My band just moved into a new rehearsal space & I am getting a TON of noise coming from my bass.

It sounds like a very loud hum/static sound. I've isolated it to the bass as the problem.

So my question is what can I do to stop the noise? I'm playing a fender jazz deluxe with an OBP-3 preamp & stock p/u's. The bass is quiet when played at home, gigs, etc. Its just in the practice space that it sounds like crap. I have to turn my tweeter completly off in the cabinet & I can still hear it.

2. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    Could be dirty A/C. Try a different plug or turn off anything not needed during practice, IE:motors, flourescent, large filament lights, etc. To test if it's A/C hum put a 3 prong ground lift adapter on the rig then see if it still makes noise. Be sure to unplug the adapter after this test as you don't want to run without the ground hooked up through your equipment.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It is a known problem with Fender Jazz basses - in fact Roscoe Beck specifically designed the RB5 with getting rid of this problem in mind!!

So - I would like to bet the place has strip lighting - tubes on the ceiling - fluorescent lighting is the same!

The way to avoid it, is to turn off the lights or stand as far away from them as possible!
  4. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    What did roscoe put in the RB5 that eliminated this problem?

I have a furman power conditioner in the rig, so I thought that is supposed to take care of this kind of thing.

It could be dirty A/C. If anyone has ever been to the music building in NYC, then you know its a toilet. The room actually has track lights & not the tubes.

I tried plugging into different outlets & turning off all the other lights etc, & I still get the hum.

Would shielding the cavity help?
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Special hum-bucking pickups with coil taps to get closer to the Fender Jazz "sound" - even when using it in humbucker "mode".
  6. the Fender Jazz deluxe has humbucking pickups-
    the current MIA model the "noiseless" stacked humbucking type, the MIM and older MIA's a split humbucking design in a J shell with large polepieces.
  7. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    Yep...Its got the newer noiseless p/u's.
  8. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If you've got ground issues/noise that increases greatly when you remove your hands from the bass, here's something that works for me: Take a small, thin wire with alligator clip on one or both ends and attach one end to the bridge, ball end of a string, etc. Tuck the other end into your clothing so you keep that body contact even when you let go of the strings. Use a small black wire and it's barely noticeable, though bandmates may give you a hard time about sticking an alligator clip down your pants...

Oh, and has it been mentioned yet that a Jazz bass is going to be less noisy with both pickups turned up?
  9. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I am by no means an expert, so my suggestion should be taken with a grain of salt, but are you using a different cable? I'm playing a MIM Jazz with the 'noisy' pickups, and was trying to adjust myself to the extra fuzz when the master tone is cranked all the way up. I started using my older practice cord and voila, no more fuzz! As to how this works, I have no clue...
  10. I have an MIA Jazz Deluxe and my bridge pickup buzzes to the point that I don't play the bass anymore. In fact, I am going to trade it in when I go back to Canada for Christmas. When I remove my hands from any metal part of the bass it gets even louder. I hate it and I'm very disappointed as I paid an arm and a leg for the bass and its "noiseless" pickups.

Luckily I also have a passive MIA P-Bass so my J is just waiting to be sold.

If you find a solution please let me know.