1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lots of blood...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mr_goodbomb, Apr 24, 2010.

1. mr_goodbomb

mr_goodbomb

Oct 10, 2009
    Alright, so here's a weird one...

I got a small cut on my finger last night right before we played. The motion of picking, within the first two songs, made it a larger cut... and I began to bleed a considerable amount onto the bass. The pickguard, whatever, I can clean it off, but the strings are... soaked. We played a day show today and the bass sounds dead as hell... and all I can assume is because the strings are caked in dried blood.

I was considering boiling the strings because the strings were new, and I don't have another set, and I need it again in a day or two. I know they say it's not a big deal to remove all the strings at once on a guitar to replace them, but unnecessary. Is it safe to do so for bass without a neck adjustment after?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'd change them one at a time, but maybe this will be the start of your new habit, always having at least one set of "extra" strings on hand.

3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    boiling oughta work

4. Won't boiling the fingertip hurt? :rolleyes:

5. yeah, it's no big deal, sometimes when I am working on my basses I leave the strings off for days with no ill effects.
    So did you cut your finger while picking energetically? I kid I kid :bassist:

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    My pointer finger regularly disintegrates at the tip (not from playing) and I used to have this happen too. These days I keep new skin and super glue on hand just in case and I play with a softer touch. Yes, blood will deaden strings quickly. I'd suggest denatured alcohol rather than boiling though. Check the strings forum for more details.

7. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    you could try wear one of those soft rubber finger pick thing like acoustic player so when it bleeds it won't go on the bass. I don't know what they call it but i saw some bass players uses.

8. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2004
    removing strings for a few days should not hurt the neck, so you can easily clean them in that time.. however, i would try a thorough cleaning first before removing the strings... I never tried the boiling, but the denatured alcohol method made my strings feel weird. I didn't like it, so I always change strings nowadays and keep the old set for emergencies (such as yours, or broken strings)... especially when (if) I don't have time to change the whole set, it is nice to have old strings available, as their tone will be more similar to the other strings you leave on the bass...

9. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I generally keep super-glue in my gig-bag, for wound closure purposes. The one time I forgot it? Yep, tore open my thumbnail on a bridge saddle screw.

c-

10. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    I opened this thread thinking of this....

[​IMG]

11. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    boil the strings, not your fingers. i've heard people have luck with superglue on cuts, but i've never tried it. if you can play with a pick for a few days it should help.

barring that boil both hands so that the pain in each distracts you from the other :ninja:

12. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Remove them. Coil them into a container and spray them down with dawn power disolver. Wait 20 minutes or so and rinse them...

That stuff works miracles.

13. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    I dislike both the alcohol and boiling methods, plus the alcohol makes them feel slick in parts and other parts still feel grimey even though they look and sound clean. I usually play with a pick when I have injured myself.

14. Tonedeaf Hack

Tonedeaf Hack

Mar 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If you do boil the strings, don't use an aluminium stock pot, at least not one that you cook in on a regular basis. Something causes a reaction that discolors the aluminium, & it's a PITA/nearly impossible to get clean.

I learned this lesson earlier tonight. I had three sets of old strings that I kept for whatever reason, & decided to try the boiling trick just for giggles. The strings I removed from the acoustic bass were really nasty, & boiling them for 15 minutes did give them some new life, but they still look like crap.

I won't be boiling any more strings :rollno:.

15. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    You oughta be fine getting the strings off, boiled, dried and back onto the bass in under an hour. While they're off & drying, you can give it a nice clean, too!

In the past I've used a teaspoon worth of bicarb soda (baking soda) in the pot of water when boiling strings. It worked. A 3 minute boil will do for most strings.