1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lots of confusion and indecision from a noob...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Captain567, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Hey, I didn't want to hijack a thread so I decided to ask here. A bit about myself first, I've wanted to play bass for about 2 years now, and when I told my parents they said I should try out guitar first. Well, I finally saved up about $215 Canadian dollars, and I think I'm ready enough to go out and get a bass, and amp, and so on.

First I was excited by the discovery of SX and their $139.99 bass pack. I really want a sunburst finish Jazz at a low price and they offer it! But with the shipping to Canada, it totals out to $240, which makes it less of a deal, and even worse I might have to worry about string action, crappy tuners and bridge.

So now I'm thinking of Squier. However, I've got a few issues with that. The least of which is no sunburst finish on their Affinity models :spit:. Now my other concerns are that the Squier pack is more expensive than the SX, however I suppose the overall quality would be superior, or if not that, the quality control would be tighter. Now I know some of you are going to suggest the Vintage Modified series, but I'd still need money for an amp and a cable, among other things. On top of all that, I've read multiple posts saying their SX hands down beats Squier in quality.

So, to sum it all up quickly, Squier or SX, and why?
    (sorry for the long post, I like to be precise)

(and don't say I should get a Precision because I said I like to be precise)

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Perhaps you could find something used, locally? You'd get more bang for your $ buying used. People are selling their starter basses all the time to move up to the next level.

I think the SX starter pack is still a good deal at $240. I have a sunburst fretless SX jazz bass, and it does not have crappy tuners or bridge! I did replace the strings and set up the action, but I would expect to do that with any bass.

Good luck!

3. I would save up and get a Squier Vintage Modified bass. Hands down the best value for under $300. The SX's are nice, but the necks and electronics leave a little bit to be desired, though they're not bad at all.

4. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Save up some more money and get the best gear you can (Squire VM if that floats your boat...or you could check out some of Yamaha's stuff which is good as well). A little longer wait in exchange for a better bass is always the right choice.

5. Russ Frost

Russ Frost

Aug 30, 2006
    Texas!
    Bottom line, either one will work for what you need just starting out, so don't get to hung up on the details. At that price point you're going to find quite a variance in quality, so I would go with the one you can put your hands on and feel/hear up front what you're getting. Ibanez also makes decent starter bass so take a look at that too.

The action can be adjusted, so that's probably not too big of a deal. If you buy from local store they may be willing to help you with that. Also, plenty of info around here on how to do it yourself so that is an option too. Quality of tuners, bridges, etc of course isn't going to be the best, but they will be functional and also you won't be paying the price for top quality hardware.

No need to buy more than you can afford, so if you have a budget, stick to it. If you have money left over you can put it towards an instructional book or new strings, something that would benefit you more than a particular finish or cool brand name.

Have Fun!

6. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    $214 is not enough cash... I don't know about the SX gear, never played it, and also don't know about Squier's Affinity stuff. But the Vintage Modified's are all great buys.

You could surf eBay and try to snag an older Peavey, like a Patriot or Foundation. Excellent quality!! My Patriot is still rocking since 1985. Might be able to get one of those for under $150, plus a small practice amp for $50 - think used. A cable is like $10, and L&M sells a $4.50 strap that isn't half bad.

Just realized - that all adds up to $214.50!! :)

7. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
  8. I'm not sure about the Peavey fury. I'm aiming for jazz pickups because they're overall more versatile than the p-pickups, are they not? If it's my first bass and will be my only one for a while, I'd think I'd need, well want, to be able to have a variety of tones. Plus I'm just finalizing any decisions, it'll probably be a week or so before I actually go out and buy anything.

9. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    You're worrying to much.

Either the SX or the Peavey will be great starter basses. The tuners are fine. The action will be fine. You won't need to worry about wicked low string height or anything for quite a while. You're going to get a wide variety of tones out of either.

You have to understand, that the people who most times are bitching about tuners, pickups, fret jobs, etc etc etc, are guys who have played for years and have been exposed to very well setup and constructed gear. The SX is MORE then quality enough for years of gigging as it arrives to you. Historically many many very classic recordings were made with what people would consider horribly setup basses by many people's standards today. At this stage... get what you like visually and what motivates you to play, practice, and play more, then practice more. Then start touching other basses and you'll start learning what you like, don't like etc.

My thoughts at least.

10. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Common misconception!!!!

P-basses and J basses do *different* things, one doesn't do more or less. I like 'em both.

P-basses are good for lots of low end "thump" and can deliver a really "ballsy" tone. You can do *a lot* with them depending on where you pluck or strike the strings - close to the neck, close to the bridge, in the middle, etc. They are very versatile - they've played Motown, rock and roll from every era, country, metal, punk, heck even jazz. For many they are the *only* bass.

J basses tend to be more focused in the mid range (with both pickups blended). They *don't* do a P-bass sound with just the neck pickup on, despite what some folks will tell you. Also very versatile and have been everywhere P basses have been, plus a few other genres where people tend to think P basses can't do it for whatever reason, like modern R&B.

The big difference to me is the neck - Fender J basses have a skinnier neck from side to side, and typically a little thicker from front to back. P basses are the opposite. With a non-Fender or non-Squier, the neck dimensions are up for grabs, I don't know. The older Peavey basses typically had a J style neck, even if they had P style pickups. The fury looks to be that way. Regardless, this is a matter of personal preference - no advantage one way or the other. You have to play it to decide if you like it.

11. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    +1 - wish I'd been that concise!! :)

12. Guess I am over thinking this one.

About the pickups, I plan to mod a jazz with series wiring with a push/pull pot, my dad's a good electrician and can help me with this. I've read it gives you a bit more growly, P-bass tone. About the necks, I've got stubby fingers, I think I'd prefer the thinner jazz.

Edit: Oh, and most of my favourite bassists use jazz basses, Geddy Lee and John Paul Jones, and Entwistle is known for P-basses but he used a Jazz on the My Generation solo!

13. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    There ya go - go get 'em!

PS, he also played the world's first recorded solo with round wound strings on that song.

14. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    you absolutely CAN NOT GO WRONG with a peavey fury as your first bass. or your 10th bass. a usa fury is a mighty fine instrument!

15. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    And for $75!

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    if you can stretch to the Squier VM series you'll be all set. I've owned Kubicki, Ibanez, Hohner, Status and Spector basses and my Squier VM fretless holds it's own against them!