1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lots of fret buzz, unsure how to fix action (I already looked at the sticky)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tegnoto89, Mar 16, 2009.

1. tegnoto89

tegnoto89

Dec 24, 2008
    Syracuse
    My new Fender jazz is buzzing BADLY, and the action isn't even very low. Do I use an allen wrench to fix the truss rod? Does the truss rod even need to be touched (it does buzz at the first fret; ideally I would like the action as low as I can get it, though I play relatively hard)?

Also, I don't know how to adjust the saddle properly. Do I just use a phillips to move the thingys back or fourth? I really have no idea what I'm doing here, and the tutorials in the sticky weren't very much help.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!!

2. Site the neck by looking down the bass while holding the body, pointing the neck away from you. If it's bowed, you probably need to adjust the truss rod. If not, then raise the action.

The moving back and forth is intonation, not action. Most bridges use small hex screws to raise and lower the saddles.

Like so:

bridge.

that's a guitar, but same idea. The screws move up and down with a tiny allen key, usually 2 per saddle.

3. tegnoto89

tegnoto89

Dec 24, 2008
    Syracuse
    Gotcha. I actually just read that after I had posted. The neck looks pretty straight; if I give it a little bit of relief will I be able to keep the action lower without buzz?

4. kevoh

kevoh

Mar 16, 2009
    Chicagoland area
    I had a similar problem wiht my ltd. i think the weather had something to do with mine because out of nowhere one day my action was shot, and i was getting fret buzz on even the first fret. it was bad. i just experimented with the truss rod and got it where i wanted. since then, ive loved it.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Probably. If you read the stickies and still don't know what you're doing (per your admission), I'd take it to a tech or skilled bassist (I'll assume there are some TBer's in Syracuse) for a set-up and tutorial.

Riis