1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lots of GAS, but no actual good rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Julian Reid, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Julian Reid

Julian Reid

May 5, 2014
    Hi all. I know this has sort of been explained in various ways, but I'm pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff. In more ways than one.
    And you'll see why :)

I currently have an Eden 320w combo(nemesis). It drives the internal speaker to full capacity but you can apparently plug any ohm extension cab. I'm not sure of how. But Eden says you can do it.
    And of course you gain no more wattage power, as it's fully utilised by the combo.

(I have a Mesa Powehouse 2x10 cab, 600w@8ohm, and a Hartke Hydrive 115, 500w@8ohm).

And believe it or not(I'm in Australia. That's just a side issue), I'm picking up a 4x10 Euphonic NM410 cab tonite!
    1000watts at 8 ohms.
    It's basically a no longer used 'gift' from my brother. (Nice brother).

To complicate things, I've also got an old pre-Gibson AH600smx with Red Stripe 4x10 cab which I've had for a while.

Now you may think I've got this ridiculous amount of non matching gear. Well that's why I'm here. What the hell do I do!?
    My unit is resembling a festival stage, and I just want a nice, simple setup.

So apart from my own ridiculousness, some points.

1. The Eden is actually pretty good and plugging the Hartke or Mesa cabs in actually gives it a significant increase in grunt. And to my ear, surprisingly the 115 Hartke sounds a better match than the Mesa. Although with the Mesa for some reason it makes a mean, wall shaking combo as a PA at my three teenage daughters' parties :)

But overall I'm not in love with the sound(although my eQ'ing skills are not the best). Am I wasting good cabs on an underpowered combo?

2. The reason for the GAS overload is, As much as I love the Trace, it's a friggin monolith, weight wise, and I'm getting older. Unfortunately, it has to go.

3.. I'm playing in a mixture of psych rock, semi electronic rock band(s) at small sized venues(100-300). It's not likely to change.

4. I'm thinking maybe getting a lighter head (Ashdown evo 575 watt, or genz Benz shuttle 9), although a small country would be lighter than the Trace, or similar , and then trying to fit whatever cab(s) suit, and then offloading the rest.
    Or maybe just keep the Eden and one cab?

So would something like above with the 8ohm 1000watt Euphonic and the Mesa (600watt) be overkill?
    Are they a bad match?
    Be nice to have a lightish rehearsal setup with more grunt for live.

So please some advice on the Cabs, a head would be appreciated. I feel like I've accumulated some really good gear(and perhaps not so good), and I need to just get something that's got good tone, headroom, but doesn't need to be a stadium rig. And I think I'm gonna turn out like some sort of hoarder!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Lots of GAS, but no actual good rig!
    Ain't that just the way... :)

3. Volume is about moving air, so make sure to release a lot of GAS.

4. darrenmt

darrenmt

Dec 15, 2004
    Australia
    Hi mate i am from Australia too. Totally understand your dilemma with the mismatched gear. If you currently have no volume issues with the Eden Nemesis combo than pairing it up, for more SPL, with the Hartke 1x15" or Mesa 2x10" should be fine.

However, if it totally doesn't cut the mustard, than perhaps looking into a nice light weight and portable 500W @4ohms head or higher to go with the Mesa or Hartke @ 8ohms each and both at the full 4ohms might be the solution. You mentioned a GB Shuttle 9 which is a fantastic 900W amp and will still be fine with those cabs.

This would make the Eden combo and 4x10" 8 ohm cab redundant since it wouldn't be the best idea running it with the Hartke or Mesa due to driver size/count mismatch. Sell these off along with the old Trace head and cab. Go buy a head of choice. Hey presto!! Great sounding rig and nothing out of pocket.

Another option is to keep the Mesa 2x10" as an extension, the Eden combo as a backup and sell off everything else. Than go grab one of those new Fender Rumble V3 500W combos. :)

Linnin likes this.
  5. Julian Reid

Julian Reid

May 5, 2014
    Thanks Darren. You're prob right.
    I just fell in love with the Euphoria cab just looking at it!
    But at 1000watt@8ohms, I'd really need another one :) and then get a beefy 2000 watt head to make the most of. And that's just fantasy land for me.

It's a shame to sell it off.
    Although it, with selling the trace will prob give me a free decent rig.
    I'll try and release the GAS.

6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Bingo!

7. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Well you don't like the Eden and the Trace stuff is too heavy so how about if you keep the EA 410 and Mesa 210. Sell everything else and buy the Genz Shuttle. Use the amp with the 210 for small gigs and with the 410 for larger gigs.

8. Julian Reid

Julian Reid

May 5, 2014
    Thanks John. That sounds like a good idea. Assuming they sound good together?
    I guess one question.
    If I'm using the EA and the Mesa, is there a mismatch using a 1000watt 4x10 with a 600watt 2x10?
    I did notice the spl rating was the same for each, but I'm not sure if it's actually a true rating.

9. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Having owned a NM410 myself I just can not imagine having the sound you would want in a psych rock band.

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The Trace may be tough to move, unless you can find someone who REALLY digs 'em. I have an old TE combo, and want to sell it because of weight. But the sound is tremendous.

11. Julian Reid

Julian Reid

May 5, 2014
    Thx guys. Great advice.
    I don't think I'll have a problem Buldog.
    The AH600smx (pre Gibson) are quite sought after. And it's in good nick.

12. darrenmt

darrenmt

Dec 15, 2004
    Australia
    Lol sometimes it's good to start from scratch. If none of the gear you currently own produces that blissful tone in your head, or too mismatched to be optimal for your gigging needs, maybe it's time to move them on and purchase exactly what you need/want. No point trying to work around certain amps or cabs and compromise due to shortcomings/mismatch.

I used to buy a tonne of gear and mixed and matched a lot. This may be fine for some but i finally knew what i wanted and focused on it.

Ended up selling off stuff and really trimming down to what i needed. Ended up with a PJB Bass Cub for home and acoustic jams, and my main gig/rehearsal rig being a SVT-7 with a Barefaced Super 15. Still retained a SVP pro and Streamliner 900 as backup. I could go low or high SPL without worry while having a relatively lightweight rig that sounds killer and ready for most situations. No need to fuss with matching cabs and size/ weight issues. :)