Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lots of hum

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Im a sock, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Hi,
    I recently rehabed an old bass I got for free. I intalled a Seymour Duncan Basslines Quarter Pound pickup, along with 2 250k audio taper pots, and a switchcraft jack. Upon completion of the wiring (I'm more or less a novice at wiring), I plugged the bass in and when i wasnt touching the strings there was humming. I sheilded the cavity with copper tape, and i ran a ground wire from the jack to the underside of the bridge, and i dont know what else to do to eliminate the hum.

Any suggestions?

P.S- Would a picture of the cavity help at all?

2. definately a grounding problem...

3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    i should have mentioned that i determined that its a grounding problem.... thats what i need help with.

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Is the copper shield tape connected to ground somehow? Are the pot casings grounded?

5. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    the copper tape isnt grounded... how should i do that. and how do i know if the pot casings are grounded?

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Run a wire from the copper foil to the ground lug of your output jack. You can do the same for the pot casings if you need to. Sometimes they are grounded by contact with the copper foil.