Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lots of Lane Poor's on Ebay!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fivestringdan, Jun 24, 2005.

1. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
  2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

cool heads up. That was a fun hour. And only cost me my time too :- )

Dude knew his pickups but didn't know his ebay. You'd have to have been looking for Lane Poors to run across those.

The 4.5" 'ers would probably have fit one of my basses but I don't play 5's so I was mostly looking at trade bait. I did bid up on the MM5 cause it was 4 lead but I got my timing screwed up and bid too early to make sure and the dude came back with a winning bid that ended right at auction end - and saved me 3 1/2 Bens too! No complaints and some cheap thrills.

Lane poors are pretty choice in general but I'm no pro so it's just fluff to me. But too bad the guy didn't play 4's.

3. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR

I've seen a set of Jazz Bass LP's go for over $400.00!!

4. lane poors are worth it though all i play are lanes pickup i have a connection where i've gotten NOS for my 6string and my P bass (fwiw the guy worked for lane and my p bass was one he made when he had some spare time at the shop it's 5x hotter that a stock lane best p pickup i've ever heard) i have a humbucker and a jazz in my 6er

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

In terms of tone it just depends on what you're looking for. The LP's I've heard are VERY Bart-like. And if you don't like Barts, it's unlikely you'd find an LP appealing. If I was that's nuts about LP's I would have bid more and simply routed the basses to fit them.

In terms of price, what matters in general is not so much what a pup cost but what the market will bare. If a pup will quickly sell for what it cost, the cost is almost irrelevant as long as it's affordable. To me LP's are getting like stock, I wonder how high they will go before they max out. Unless for some wierd reason, the ones that exist hit the market in relatively large numbers over a short period of time, they'll probably continue to rise.

One thngs for sure, very rare for a half dozen of them to show at once and, in all probability, it will be a very long time before that happens again unless some guy in the same situation saw the auction and decides it's time for his collection to pass on. This was probably the closest thing to LP's flooding the market that will happen any time soon.