1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lots of noise with series/parallel switch...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cougar207, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Cougar207

Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    I have a Schecter Stilleto Elite 5 with EMG HZ's in it and an active pre. I wired up a series/parallel switch on the bridge pickup and it does change the sound as it should but I get a lot of noise (a high pitch buzz that goes in and out like an envelope filter). Any ideas on what I did wrong. The pickup ground (bare metal) is grounded and none of the connections are touching.

Thanks for the help,
    Matt

Attached Files:

2. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    did u ground the switch?

did you add resistors to the switch? they help reducing crackling when switching and other noises.

3. something looks amiss in your switch wiring...could you put a sketch in showing the whole entire schematic?

I recently did a series/parallel on a single humbucker bass and it didn't look like that....

you can't do a parallel/series switch and leave the white and black soldered together and just switch the red and green...that just won't work...

ok here it is...i think I have the colours for the EMG figured out (with the help of their website)

on your switch (same layout as yours) you'll need to hook it up like this:

top left = no connection
    top right = black
    middle left = black (jumper from top right)
    middle right = white
    bottom left = green (also connect to ground)
    bottom right = red (also signal to preamp or volume pot, whichever the case may be)

4. Cougar207

Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    Yep, that did it! I was trying to adapt schematics from a strat, which should be the same, but the schematic might be wrong. Thanks for the help, its nice to have the added flexability.

5. I'm happy I could help...I get almost as much satisfaction out of helping as I would doing it myself. :)

Yes, the added flexability is great to have. I'm really loving the KA soapbar in my wishbass... I'll probably have a double soapbar bass before long...I just love the tone. :)