Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lots of pick up questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tbonesux, Apr 7, 2002.

1. tbonesux

tbonesux Guest

Apr 7, 2002
    Wisconsin
    i wanna get some new pick ups (for 4 string) and I was thinking passive with a preamp, but i don't know what kind to get. i'm looking for something around medium price. i think the sound im looking for is tite, little bit ofbassy growel and little punchy but i not sure cause i can't really play around on any basses to see what kind of sound i like best cause there aren't any good music stores around where i live.

Are bartilonis passive pu's?
    -and what is a bright or deep sound?
    -which style is best suited for which types of playing?
    -where can i get them?
    -price range?
    -for the preamp iwas thinking the HR4.5 or 4.6
    -assuming the pus are passive could i mount the preamp in a seperate box for use on other basses after their passive electronics?
    -Prices?

seymour duncans
    how is the musicman (pups and preamp)system?
    what kind of stlye/ sound does it have?

what about emgs?
    any other brands?

once again where can i get any of these?

thanks

2. tbonesux

tbonesux Guest

Apr 7, 2002
    Wisconsin
  3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    dude u never said what kind of pickups, were they humbuckers? jazz? P? I also think pickups are like underwear, everyone kinda has there own type and its not gonna be the same for everyone. I would make a suggestion. I was lookin at preamps for a while and i heard mixed results about all of them except one. I never heard anything bad about the j-retro. It supposed to be the shizzz. I would go with one of those and sum passive pickups. If your not worried about price Aero makes sum nice pickups. Barts are good, but ive heard too clean.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You might have more luck asking less questions per thread. Do you honestly think anyone is gonna put in the time to answer all those questions?

Also, you might want to familiarize yourself with the Search function...

5. >Are bartilonis passive pu's?
    They can be.

-and what is a bright or deep sound?
    Bright = Lots of Treble, Deep = Lots of Lows

-which style is best suited for which types of playing?
    Either one can be used
    any type of playing.
    -price range?
    $100-200
    -assuming the pus are passive could i mount the preamp in a seperate box for use on other basses after their passive electronics? Yes... if you desolder and resolder

seymour duncans
    how is the musicman (pups and preamp)system? Good
    what kind of stlye/ sound does it have?
    Like a musicman but slightly different
    what about emgs?
    EMGs are good, and sound like EMGs
    any other brands?
    Riogrande Pickups (http://www.riograndepickups.com)
    Dimarzrio
    once again where can i get any of these?
    Discount Guitar Parts

Sorry that a lot of the questions have stupid answers.... but thats how they can be answered. Also do a Search you can find a LOT that way.