1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LOTS of question that need answering!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by GothicOnDaLoose, Apr 6, 2009.

1. GothicOnDaLoose

GothicOnDaLoose

Feb 8, 2009
    Hi, ok, I'll just go ahead, I have LOOOOTS of questions:

What’s the difference between this kinds of body:
    • w/o added top or added back
    • flat top (neck lams visible) → What are neck lams?
    • flat top (bookmatch-to-center) → What’s bookmatch-to-center?
    • added top, tapered body thickness (what does tapered mean?)
    • carved top (bookmatch-to-center)
    • carved top and joined (flat) back
    • carved top and carved back

I don’t know much about woods and materials either… ^^ So I hope you would be willing to help me with that too! What’s the difference between 5, 7 and 9 part necks in terms of performance and looks?
    - Wood for neck: What could you recommend for a good neck wood?
    - Neck shape: I have no idea how any of those neck shapes look… Once again pictures would be incredibly handy!

Fretboard:
    Wood: Once again I don’t know what is good for this…

Fretboard:
    Wood: Inform me please?

What are pore woods??

What’s the difference between
    - Ultralite (Cloverleaf button <-- ??)
    - M4 Mini style button
    - Normal M4 style
    - Pre CBS

Pickups:
    Like I said, the bass will be mostly used to play rock, hard rock and metal… What would you recommend here?

Bezels:
    What does a bezel look like?

Jack:
    Is there a real important difference I need to know about here?

Potentiometers:
    Is there a real important difference I need to know about here?

Batteries:
    Is there choice between 1 and 2 9V batteries and what will the difference in performance be?

---------------

I am terribly sorry for all these questions and I hope to hear from you soon and thank you in advance!

It would be great if you could take a look at this for more info since it'll probably be there that I buy my bass:
    http://theguitarcustomshop.com/index.php?module=PostWrap&height=700&page=bassquote

2. www.google.com

Seriously. Not to sound like a jerk, but the majority of these questions coud be answered with a simple search.

3. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    if you're going to order a custom bass (and not building one yourself), I'd suggest your time would be better spent asking these questions to the builder at the web address you posted.

no disrespect intended here, but a small investment of your personal time searching this forum would yield you nearly 100% return to all your questions.

all the best,

R

4. lams = laminates (you call it neck parts further on in your post)
    bookmatched: google it
    tapered: that's just a common English word; try a dictionary
    furthermore, I think it's best to ask your builder if you have any questions about those options

There are many, many threads about woods and what is used best. Also, there are lists of woods that explain the use for musical instruments. Try searching this forum.

Cloverleafs? That are those typical jazz bass tuners (do you already play bass by the way?)

Again, do some research. If all those terms doesn't ring a bell, you probably shouldn't bother either. I think, if you're going to order a custom built bass, that's because you have some very specific demands on sound, wood, hardware etc.

Good luck!

5. Stone Age

Stone Age

Apr 13, 2008
    Connecticut
    Or even try their forum...

6. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    troll