Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LOTS of questions, New to Amp's/Cab's...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkize you, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Hey, Guy. I just learned there is a LOT more to amps and cabs then I though...

First, I play Funk, Jazz, Blues and some rock. (Just like everyone else?) And am in the market for a new amp/cab, My price is about $950 (Lost $50) total to spend on it all... So right now I am looking at several possibilities for Amp/Cab's

But First my question...

If I were to get a Cab that could handle 600W @ 4 ohm, and a Head that could handle MAX 200w @ 4 ohm, How would that affect the sound? Would that make it "Muddy" or "Dirty"??? I really have no idea...

So right now I am looking at a couple Combo's (I'm NOT set on a Combo amp) So here is the Yorkville...

Yorkville BassMaster XM200T 220w @ 4 ohm 210
    Yorkville XC115XC Extension Cab, 300w @ 8 ohm 115

Cabinet Impedance (Ohms) 4
    Power @ min. impedance (Watts) 200
    Minimum Impedance (Ohms) 2
    Burst Power - 2 cycle 250
    Speaker Configuration - LF (Size / Power) 2 x 10 inch
    Speaker Configuration - HF (Size / Power) Piezo Tweeter
    Hum and Noise (dB) -90 dB Unweighted / -94dB Weighted
    Input Channels 1
    Channel 1 - inputs 1/4 inch phono jack
    Channel 1 - controls Volume, Bass, Lo-mid, Hi-mid, Treble, Contour
    Channel 1 - switches Limiter, DI out pre/post EQ
    Input Sensitivity (mV) 25
    Line Out (type / configuration) XLR pre or post EQ
    Line Out Sensitivity (Vrms) 1.0
    Effects Loop / Location Yes / Front
    LED Indicators Power
    Protection Thermal / Short Circuit
    Limiter / Switchable Yes
    External speaker output / location Yes / Rear
    Headphone Jack Yes
    Other Features XC115X Single 15 inch Extension cabinet is ideal mate for XC200 / XC200T
    Dimensions (DWH, inches) 14 x 22 x 23.5
    Dimensions (DWH, cm) 36 x 56 x 60
    Weight (lbs / kg) 64.8 / 29.4

My question with the Yorkville is would it sound muddy with all that wattage? I've Looked and looked but COULDNT find the head thats in that combo, so I know nothing about it.

GK 400RB/210 Combo 220w @ 4 ohm, Using 180 of it. Specs

POWER <1% THD: 180W, 280W with Extension Cabinet
    COOLING: Continuously Variable Speed Fan
    INPUT SECTION: Ultra low noise S/N>90dB, Clip LED, -14dB Pad, Volume and Tuning Mute
    VOICING FILTER: 5/4 String Voicing, Adjustable Contour and Presence
    EQUALIZER: In-Series Four Band Active
    OUTPUT: Boost and Master
    DIRECT OUT: XLR, Ground Lift and Pre/Post Switches
    PATCHING: Send, Return and Tuner Out
    SPEAKER OUTPUT: Two 1/4" jacks
    WOOFER: 2xGK-Paragon 10B100-16, 10", 100W, 16ohm High Presence Voice Coil
    CONSTRUCTION: 11-Ply Poplar, Black Carpet, 16 Gauge Steel Grill, Custom Interlocking Corners, Front Ported
    WEIGHT: 65 lbs
    DIMENSIONS: 23"W x 19"H x 16"D

Warwick Pro FET IV Bass Amp Head $400 With Aguilar GS112 Specs:

400W RMS into 4 ohms,
    MOSFET
    19", 2 rack units
    Extremely low-noise input section with gain control
    3-way switches for low, mid, and high boost/flat/cut
    Parametric tone filter sets frequency for mid boost/cut and high cut
    8-band graphic EQ with switchable bypass
    3-way switch for limiter on/on-with-graphic/off
    Phones jack
    DI out with pre/post switch
    Mute switch, master control
    Rear panel: groundlift switch, tuner out, line out (post master), effects loop, footswitch for graphic EQ on/off
    Speaker out: 1 XLR, 1 Speakon
    Fan cooling (non-permanent)
    Protection: short-circuit, HF oscillation, overheating, DC
    Weight: 27.5 lbs
    Depth: 14.76"

**I also heard this warwick is quiet, and has no Kick to it?**

Aguilar GS 112 $400 Specs:

Custom 300W cast-frame driver with 56-oz. magnet
    Frequency response: 42Hz-16kHz ±2dB
    Sensitivity: 102dB @ 1w-1m
    Adjustable tweeter with phase plug
    Custom crossover
    Heavy-duty spring-loaded handle
    Speakon and 1/4" inputs
    7-ply void-free Philippine mahogany
    Interlocking corners

Yorkville BassMaster BM 400 head, With aguilar GS112 Specs:

400W continuous power
    725W clean burst power
    Minimum impedance: 4 ohms
    10-band graphic EQ with volume
    Switchable limiter
    Footswitchable contour that scoops mids, boosts bass
    19"W x 3-1/2"H x 15-1/2"D
    29 lbs.

SORRY, That a lot of info, but I would really appreciate the help, Right now I'm leaning towards the Warwick / Aguilar 112 setup. It seems to have the most promising possiblities. And fits the "Criteara" for what I want, and what an amp needs to sound right.

Again, In case ya forgot... 600w 4 Ohm Cab, with 200w 4 ohm amp, would sound underpowered and "Bad" right?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You would quickly run out of headroom and volume.
    If you turn it up, you'll hear distortion, and the low notes will not get enough power.

A 400-500W SS head and a cab that can handle 300-400-500Ws are a better pair. And around 400-500Ws is necessary for usual practice levels or small-to-medium size clubs. 200Ws is a bit underpowered (unles it's tube with very efficient cabs, but these are not tube amps here).

Yorkvilles: don't know, never heard them.

GK: very nice clean hi-fi sound, good lows, but look rather for a used 700 RB or a 800RB. The 400RB is a bit underpowered.

Warwick: haven't played through them yet, but I've heard them played. Not as clean as the GK, helps accentuate the midrange growl. It is nice, also.

Aguilar GS112: while many say it has nice big, pillowy lows, they also say that it has weak mids and it gets lost in the mix.

Just my $0.02

3. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Thanks a lot!

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hopefully some others will chime in, too, to give you some better ideas regarding what to get.

5. That depends. There aren't any 100% correct-for-every-scenario answers to this question.

There isn't any inherent problem with running a cab rated for 600W with a 200W amp. The number on the cab is it's maximum thermal rating not the amount of power you need for it. However, you might well find that 200W won't get you enough SPL for your particular situation without overdriving the amp. If it does, then there's no issue, if not you need a more powerful amp (or more speakers or both).
    Personally, I would consided 200W to be on the hairy edge of what you'd need for a rock band situation, and I'd lean towards a more powerful amp. Say something around 400-500W.

I'm not familiar with the Warwick amp, but I'd think that a 112 cab by itself probably wouldn't cut it in a typical rock band situation. I'd go at least 2x12 or 410.

6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    This is Just for my room for now, And If need be, I have a 115 that I could hook with the 112.

7. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Also the warwick is 400w @ 4 ohms
    The Aguilar is 300W @ 8 ohms

Are all heads Transferable between 4 and 8 Ohms, Because there is no mention of the Wattage in 8 ohms...

8. The Warwick would probably be around 240W@8 Ohms.

4 ohms is the minimum impedance cab you can run off that head, so you can use any cab with a higher impedance (i.e. 8 Ohms :D) at the expense of reduced power. This is true for all solid state amolifiers, the rules are a bit different for tube amps.

9. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Thanks!

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hey there.

go to the sticky thread at the top of the page that says FAQ amp questions. click on the link that talks about ohms, impedance, etc. it's a long read but it will be worth it. You might also want to click the link talking about "how many watts do you need". :)

anyhow, solid state heads can safely power any impedance equal to or above their minumum safe load. in the case of a 4 ohm minimum head that means either 4 ohms (one 4 ohm cab or 2 8 ohm cabs) or 8 ohms (one 8 ohm cab)

BTW, cabinets arent X watts @ 8 ohms or X watts @ 4 ohms. Cabinets are either 4 ohm or 8 ohm cabinets that can handle a mximum of X watts RMS. ;)

11. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.

Hey Thanks a lot! I found that a little after I posted this, but before you told me about it!

I've come to the realization that I am "Amp-Retarded"... I had this epiphany after reading about them in the "Sticky" note...