1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lots of Questions on My Bluesman Vintage El Dorado Bass, Here is Some Info

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowendmafia, Mar 25, 2013.

1. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    I bought this Lake Placid Blue (we are calling it Lake Placid Green) El Dorado bass from John at Bluesman Vintage (some may have seen it in Jaymi's bass video). I was going to do a custom order, but he had this one in stock so I bought it. My immediate reaction was that the relic on it was very cool and the finish felt like a 40+ year old instrument.

When I initially got it plugged in I was blown away by the David Allen pickups, these things are killers. Vintage jazz tone to a T. The body is extremely light and resonant and harmonics just pop right out of this baby. John also does a very nice job shaving the neck profile down a bit so its not so chunky around the 12th fret.

This is THE BEST vintage style Jazz I have ever had my hands on. I have some of the top "vintage" style Jazz basses you can buy and this one absolutely destroys them. Its exceptionally lightweight, extremely resonant and the neck is absolutely incredible. The attention to detail and craftsmanship prove to me that John is entirely obsessed with what he does.

Furthermore, when I called him, I actually got ahold of him and he broke everything down for me. Dropping that kind of money on a bass that you have never seen or played is tough, but John made it clear that if it is not right, it will not leave his shop. I slept on it, had him make a few slight modifications and sent him the money the next day. I am so happy with it that I actually put a deposit down on another one that is currently being built... but that's for another thread.

Anyway, here is what everyone really wants... PICS:
    image.

photo.

Feel Free to PM me with any more questions. I like talking about it...

BLUESMANVINTAGE likes this.
  2. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
  3. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    It's awesome that there are people like John who are obsessed with their craft. Warms a bass player's heart. :cool: He really has the art of making relics with currently available materials mastered. I hope your new/old bass brings you much joy!

4. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    And if you are not into relics, he will make you one that looks brand new!

5. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    Yep! I have one of those too!! (the non relic that is!)