Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lots of stupid questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Oddman545, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Ok, here's the deal. I've had a small amp and a Squier bass and for the past year all i've done is "plug and play", you know? What are all those thingies with the knobs and stuff. I've looked around on the internet, but I can't find anywhere that explains what they are, and what they do? So i'm asking here...Oh, and what are those speaker things, do they need to be connected to something else (???). I'm absolutely clueless, all I have is a tine little practice amp and that's all I know about.

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    For the Bass:

One knob is a treble tone knob. By turning it down, the sound will be bassier. By turning it up, the tone will be crisper, and less muddy. The other should be a volume knob. By turning that up, the sound should get louder. By turning it down, the loudness, or volume, goes down.

For the Amp:

Gain is volume knob that increases/decreases the signal output before the master volume. The master is the overall volume. There are also probably EQ or Equalizer knobs. The EQ is known as tone shaping. I'd start by setting all of the frequencies to 0 or 5 (whatever the halfway point is) and go from there.

3. If the amp is a BP-15 (which I think it is) here's what the knobs do

Low: Adjusts the low frequencies, in other words, if you turn it up so the dial points to the right, you will notice the sound will get deeper, this is because the amp is putting out more of the low frequency sound waves.

Mid:This adjusts the middle frequencies, when you turn it up the sound will start to sound a bit twangy, or punchy.

high: and this, as you can guess, adjusts the high frequencies, your sound becomes brighter.

These knobs are your EQ. or equilization. They affect the type of sound that comes out of your amp. By fiddling with them you can customize your tone, for example, you can boost (turn up) the lows and highs and cut (turn down) the mids to have a slap tone. You can boost the Mids to have a real twangy tone. etc.

I think the "speaker" thing you're talking about is the speaker out jack thing with the 8 ohms (symbol looks like a upside down u) and 15W. You don't have to plug anything into it. Its just an option. It means you can plug a cabinet speaker into it, but the cab needs to have a minimum impedence of 8 ohms and can be able to handle 15 watts of power (but...I doubt there is any cab out there that can't so you only need to worry about the impedence)

Hopes this helps some

4. I think you are asking about speaker cabinets. It looks like a box with one or more speakers, but no buttons or knobs? You need an amplifier (commonly referd to as a head) to connect to those. The amplifier is what reads the signal from the bass, processes it, then sends it to the cabinets, where it is played out of the speaker(s).

Most heads have several knobs, consisting of gain, master volume, and EQ. Your little amp is a combonation. That is, an amplifier head and speaker cabinet in one little compact package. :D

PS: there are no stupid questions, only stupid people;)

5. On a matter of CABs and postcount ;), what do you mesure in? Inches, feet.. etc..

I'm buying a rig, head and two I THINK - 2x2 feet CABs..

6. oh, ok. Yea, my amp is a BP-15, and it's pretty small. All that stuff does help out. The reason I'm asking was because I know people who play gigs and stuff don't play with a little amp like that. One of my friends has a whole bunch of stuff like cabinets and head and stuff, i'll ask him what it all does to.
    Thanks guys,
    Oddman

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well i play with a decent amount of stuff, but it's pretty normal - so maybe if i just went thru and told you what everything did and how it works it'd help?

So the signal comes from my bass into my preamp (SWR interstellar overdrive) which boosts the level of the signal up to something that my power amp can use. it also has an EQ pretty similar to your squier amp (although better sounding :) ) and a bunch of tubes and stuff which have different functions - but i won't talk about those.

in the effects loop of my preamp i have a compressor. this takes the loud points of my signal and makes them quieter, and makes the quiet points louder. it helps to produce a more even sound live and recorded, and also protects my speakers.

the preamp is connected to my poweramp - the thing that actually takes your sound and puts the power to it so it can move speakers. these are rated in watts to show how powerful they are at a certain impedence (the resistance of your speaker cabinet, measured in ohms - a lower number is less resistance, meaning more power can go thru).

then i plug both my speakers into the poweramp, and away they go.

jason

8. Not pointing out anything useful, so skip this post if you want to.

Newbie to newbie, don't sweat it. This stuff will come. Just read up on it on the net (Amp and cabinet maker sites, talkbass searches) and you'll be fine in a few weeks. Now just if I could figure out how the ohm thing works.

Remember: The only stupid question is the one not asked.

9. Hey, that's really cool. But hey, I'm going to go look at the music store and get them to show me around, and point at something and say like hey, that does this and how it does it. But thanks for your help. I might actually figure this stuff out someday:oops:

thank you,
    Oddman

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow,

guys on this board have proven their classiness to me. had oddman posted to HC's bass forum, he'd be in tatters by the 3rd post.

11. What that supposed to mean?

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
  13. oh..........:p

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    But I am getting a headache.