1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lotus Bass, Sunn Beta amp, Carvin cab, Thoughts???? Price??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaysbass2002, Jun 13, 2018.

1. jaysbass2002

jaysbass2002 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Northern New York
    I have the opportunity to pick up this bass, amp, cab set up. Anyone have a ballpark price I should pay? The guy accepted an offer of $350 for package. Not sure if that was to much. Thank you in advance. 35132819_10214041707654882_479203180685557760_n. 35026739_10214041706134844_3250578575580987392_n.

2. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    $350 for the whole shebang is a GREAT deal! The Beta heads alone go for over $500 most anywhere you can find them, with the more common asking price of $600+.
    I've even seen some EXTREMELY overpriced Betas listed at over a grand!

The Lotus bass probably fetches about $100 and might be worth some replacement parts to make it a beater bass if it isn't fully functional at this point. The Carvin, I imagine, would probably fetch $100 - $250. If they sound decent together, the whole package is a really good deal, IMO.

RobertUI and alesreaper9 like this.
  3. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    If it all works, I'd be buying and loading all of it up in a heart beat!

4. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    You double posted, FYI.

jaysbass2002 likes this.
  5. jaysbass2002

Mar 26, 2013
    Northern New York
    I noticed after the fact. My internet was slow and I didn't think it posted and I posted again. Tough crowd.

Razman and P-oddz like this.
  6. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    Condition is everything. Does it all work? If so, not bad. I'd play it all as-is (until something broke). Test everything first though.

That Sunn is a loud amp for being only 100W, but it's very mid-rangey, not much low end. I don't know what speakers Carvin stuck in that cabinet, but they might be original to the enclosure. Surprised that the cab grill isn't already pre-blasted with cat piss.

If the Sunn doesn't need an overhaul you can flip it pretty easily. The bass isn't anything special and usually people are practically giving away big cabs from the '70-80s just to get rid of them.

jaysbass2002 likes this.
  7. jaysbass2002

Mar 26, 2013
    Northern New York
    I was planning on flipping. And yes the cab is of no use to me either. I see the amps listed for $400 and up.

8. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    You posted twice :D

jaysbass2002 likes this.
  9. jaysbass2002

Mar 26, 2013
    Northern New York
    :thumbsup::wacky:

10. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    Hey man, did you know you posted twice? :wacky::cigar:

jaysbass2002 likes this.
  11. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Based on scale and appearance, I'm guessing the cab is a 70s 2x12 PA cab. If it sounds cool you might be able to move it for 100-150 or so, or you could be stuck with it forever. Depending on what the drivers are, you may be able to sell them separately to a guitarist for $30-60 or so each. Bass, maybe about the same 100-150 especially if you spend the 15 or 20 bucks and an hour or so of your time to give it fresh strings and a basic setup and overall cleaning. The amp is definitely the most desirable piece, but it's an old solid state head, so it probably won't have as much draw as a tube head, and selling price really depends on finding the right buyer, which could take some time.

Overall, I'd say not a horrible price if you actually wanted to own this stuff for yourself, but I don't know if I'd buy it to flip at that price.

jaysbass2002 and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  12. Does the amp include the foot switch? The Beta bass came with a foot switch that allowed the user to use one of the two channels or run both to over-drive the pre.
    The Beta seems to have some demand out there as it is known for it's over-driven sound. I have the 1x15 combo amp with the same head. I would think that you won't lose at that price and that moving the Sunn will be easiest of the the package to move.
    (You may even like the sound of the Sunn!)
    One thing to keep in mind is that the Sunn is an early 80's amp. I have mine in for an overhaul a few years back and the tech did swap out some caps that he identified as being marginal.
    Fishheadjoe

jaysbass2002 likes this.
  13. edit... double post

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    jaysbass2002 likes this.
  14. @jaysbass2002 it looks like I replied to both threads!!!!!!
    fishheadjoe

jaysbass2002 likes this.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Seems legit.

jaysbass2002 likes this.
  16. ctbass

ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    I had a Beta Bass 15 Combo.....Man I still wish I had that thing.

jaysbass2002 and Fishheadjoe like this.
  17. In my case, I pulled the head out of the cab and have it stored in my basement. I use the cab and keep it at my rehearsal space and drive it with a Hartke 3500. I did have to replace the stock driver, back in the 80's as the cab did a roll over in the back of my truck and the magnet shifted, causing the stock driver to be NFG. I replaced that driver with a Gauss that's still in there. I still have the foot switch as well.
    Fishheadjoe

jaysbass2002 likes this.
  18. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I like the monster pile of garbage the rig/bass is sitting in front of. Staging helps, my friends.

I'd give the guy $200 tops for the head if working. The rest is worthless IMO.

jaysbass2002 likes this.
  19. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    The Lotus bass is a Matsumoko bass MIJ - That alone is worth $300.

I had a dark red Lotus P bass a few years ago and it was built like a tank and sounded good. I would say $350 for the whole rig is a great deal. I've seen Sunn Beta Bass amps go from $100 - $1K, so I think it's a great deal.

Depending on the OP's needs, this could be a great garage, basement, home studio, or back yard jam rig.

jaysbass2002 likes this.
  20. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    I've been searching for an affordable Bets head like that one. Someone actually recreated the Beta preamp as a pedal, and that's expensive

jaysbass2002 likes this.