Lou Furlanetto Custom 2x8 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODNY, Oct 13, 2005.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    Heck Yes people, The brother of the same man who brings F BASSES to the world is making me a custom 2x8 enclosure

using 2, 8 inch eminence speakers @ 250 watts each
    my cab will be 500 wattsa at 4 ohms.. i'm pumped

i'm still up in the air about whether or not i should put in a tweeter, or a 6 inch mid, or no tweeter at all..

nontheless the cab should be no more than 30 lbs, sport some nice lack carpet, nice black grill, and all the other goodies of a quality cabinet. i might even try to find one of those colapsable dollie type handles for her and have wheels built into the cabinet...

what does everyone else think??
  2. A few years back I had a local designer build some cabinets for the Eminence drivers I had in mind. These were properly tuned and ported for according to the T/S parameters etc. , not my personal strong suit. Anyhow, I had two enclosures made for a 2x10" and two for 1x15". All cabinets are superb and I find that the 2x10" (closest to your configuration) have no need for either a 6" or a tweeter.

I'm sure your cabinets will be excellent, but you may prefer your AccuGroove. :)
  3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    of course i'm going to prefer my accugroove cabs, but i need something that i can keep at skool, or to jam at my house with and not wake the dead...

do you know where i can get one of those telscoping handles like on the ampeg portabass cabinets???

when i get the speakers in, we are gonna test them in a jbl box he has thats cut for 2 8's aleady and has a tweeter in it alreaday aswell... this wont be the final product, but it will give me an idea of what it will sound like..

because these speakers should have awesome lw end and good high end, i think he was saying something about how since there is less speaker to move it actually takes less power to produce sweet sound. and with 2 2 inch voice coils, 4 inches is pretty sweet. also, they have sweet hi end, due to the very small dust covers.

anyone else?
  4. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    if you dont like the T/S parameters, what others are there to choose from>>?
  5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Not fershure, but I think parts express might have your handles?

DEpends what kind of scintillating high end you want as far as the 6" mid...but my SWR Baby Blue 2x8 uses a 5" mid, and it works very well. You might call Don Oatman at LDS and ask, or look around his site. I believe he builds 2x8's both ways depending on the customer... I have an LDS 5x8 with 4 * drivers, and one 8" mid with a tweet in the cone dome.
  6. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i've thought of putting a mid in there....

i dont really need the brittle high end of a inexpensive tweeter...

are fostex tweets good?

i'm gonna check out lds

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    My past exp with tweets: Foster tweets are harsh sounding. For something economical try the Eminence website,They have a nice little tweeter thats pretty sweet, only 3.5" square O.D

and Partsexpress

I like the P-Audio version of the Foster tweet better, its smoother, for larger tweets, the Selenium Dh-200 is very effective. But check with Don at LDS he's been through all this before. I would definitly put a mid or tweet in the 2X8 cab, I would think you'd want some upper mids and sparkle-leading edge note definition that tweets lend. With a properly designed crossover, they sound smooth and more natural.

I've heard some 2X8 cabs that were pretty deep sounding, sometimes over emphasising lower mids, sometimes muddy. Don has lots of experience with 2X8 cabs, I'd even consider buying one from him over anyone esle for this reason. I would think he has worked some of the bugs out associated with that design. Selecting the right driver for the application. good luck and have fun.
  8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've got one of Don's 2 X 10 neo's with a selenium tweeter, the high end is definitely clearer and more defined then my old eden cabs. I've got a 2 X 12 neo coming next week. Pumped!
  9. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    well i went ahead and ordered 2 eminence beta 8a's

225 watts each, 8 ohms a piece...

you think a good tweeter will be better than a mid eh?? i could see that happening. i'm pretty sure the 8's pretty much cover the whole sonic spectrum domain anyways... i just need some really high end to clean things up..

i still can't find one of those neat dolly's though@! argh
  10. I just completed a 4x8 cab with Eminence Alpha 8s. This cab has great upper mids without the use of a separate midrange driveR I COULD SEE ADDING A TWEETER BUT NOT A MIDRANGE

11. how big and what did you tune it to? :ninja:
    i made a 1x8" out of an alpha8 and have been thinking of making a 4x8" or a 2x8"(for a very long time now).
    i´ve even thought about mixing alphas and beta8´s.
  12. It's a vertical array 47 x 10 1/8 x 13 3/4 outer dims. 1.8 cu ft interior volume tuned to 60hz. It's on the small side because I use it as a mid-bass cab. If I were to build full range I would make it about 3 cu ft and tune to 62 hz.
  13. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    so should i be looking at something about 3 cubic feet in size? and 62 hz???

and maybe a good tweeter??
  14. With 2 beta 8 drivers I would go for a 2 cu ft. box and tune to 62hz. I would leave the tweeter idea alone until you get to use the cab. Then you can decide if a tweeter is needed or not. That is a decision only you can make.

I will not be adding a tweeter to my box. The high end extension is perfect for my taste, but I only play finger style and I have somewhat brittle sounding active EMG pickups in my main bass.
  15. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    so i guess the alpha's drivers are better than the beta's?

why would u go for a smaller box/?
  16. The big box I was talking about earlier was for a 4x8 alpha box. For 2 alpha drivers I would suggest a 1.5 cu. ft. box.

Each beta driver would need slightly more volume to achieve a similar low frequency response when compared to the alpha driver.

For a 2x8 I would use the beta drivers for better power handling but for a 4x8 I would (and did) use the alpha drivers to keep the size of the box down.
  17. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    thats sweet
    thanks alot!
  18. That´s one strange looking cab!
    The one 8(alpha) i built for home/and studio use was 30 liters and tuned to 60hz, so we´re thinking the same there.
    I was thinking of making a 4x8" of about 80 liters and tuned to 68hz to still get it fullrange sounding.
    I´ve even thought about mixing alphas´ and betas´ and tune them differently. we´ll see.
  19. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    thanks for all the sweet info
  20. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    oh and..

i was thinking of building in a 2 space rack type thing into the cab...

is this a good idea or No/?>>

still any thoughts on where to get those telescooping dollies like on the back of portabass cabs???